Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Marc Lustig <ma...@marclustig.com> on 2002/09/24 18:05:21 UTC

which xerces-version to use for Intake? (was: error instantiating Intake with T2.2)

> Sheesh, I was really hoping the xml location would fix it.
>
> Are you by any chance starting Intake both from the coupled services and
> fulcrum?
>
> If you search the user list
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-user&r=1&w=2) for "double
> initialization", there are some posts about a misconfigured
> server.xml file.

Yes, Chris, I went throu these.
I fixed something by modifying server.xml and putting my baseDoc outside of
webapps.
I have only one context in server.xml now:
<Context path="/audiotex" docBase="F:\\atsite\\audiotex" reloadable="true"/>

It didn't help thou.
But looking in the tomcat log let me found an error that is occuring when
tomcat/turbine is started up (before the first template is requested):

2002-09-24 15:50:18 StandardContext[/audiotex]: Servlet /audiotex threw
load() exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet audiotex threw
exception
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:94
6)
..
----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.VerifyError: (class:
org/apache/turbine/services/intake/transform/XmlToAppData, method: parseFile
signature:
(Ljava/lang/String;Z)Lorg/apache/turbine/services/intake/xmlmodel/AppData;)
Incompatible object argument for function call
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.intake.TurbineIntakeService.writeAppData(Turbine
IntakeService.java:234)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.intake.TurbineIntakeService.init(TurbineIntakeSe
rvice.java:184)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.TurbineBaseService.init(TurbineBaseService.java:
108)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.BaseInitableBroker.initClass(BaseInitableBroker.
java:149)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.BaseServiceBroker.doInitService(BaseServiceBroke
r.java:224)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.BaseServiceBroker.initServices(BaseServiceBroker
.java:193)
	at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.init(Turbine.java:257)
..

The error seems to occur somewhere in this method:
( parseFile(string) is calling parseFile(String, boolean false) )

    /**
     * Parse and xml input file and returns a newly
     * created and populated AppData structure
     */
    public AppData parseFile(String xmlFile, boolean skipValidation)
        throws Exception
    {
        SAXParser parser = new SAXParser();

        // set the Resolver for the database DTD
        DTDResolver dtdResolver = new DTDResolver();
        parser.setEntityResolver(dtdResolver);

        // We don't use an external content handler - we use this object
        parser.setContentHandler(this);
        parser.setErrorHandler(this);

        // Validate the input file
        parser.setFeature(
            "http://apache.org/xml/features/validation/dynamic", true);
        parser.setFeature("http://xml.org/sax/features/validation", true);

        FileReader fr = new FileReader (xmlFile);
        BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader (fr);
        try
        {
            InputSource is = new InputSource (br);
            parser.parse(is);
        }
        finally
        {
            br.close();
        }

        return app;
    }

So the only exlanation that I have is that there is problem with the
Xerces-edition that is provided to Intake.
I have xercesImpl-2.0.2.jar in web-inf/lib that came along with the TDK
package.
Is this wrong??
What else xerces-edition to use here?

Marc

RE: AW: which xerces-version to use for Intake? (was: error instantiating Intake with T2.2)

Posted by Dave Everson <dj...@mygolftrac.com>.
Derek,

Here is how we fixed this same issue, we are also using 2.1:

a) download the TDK for 2.2 and just grab the Xerces classes from the
zip file.
b) replace the Xerces classes in WEB-INF/lib with the classes from the
2.2 zip file.
c) replace the Xerces files in the <tomcat>/endorsed with the classes
from the 2.2 zip file.

It may not be the best solution, but it worked for us.
Dave

Posted by Derek Stevenson <de...@retrocode.com>.
Marc,

Re: which xerces-version to use for Intake? (was: error instantiating Intake with T2.2)

Posted by Edwin Gustafson <ed...@caymanchem.com>.
Greetings,

Marc Lustig wrote:

>But looking in the tomcat log let me found an error that is occuring when
>tomcat/turbine is started up (before the first template is requested):
>
>----- Root Cause -----
>java.lang.VerifyError: (class:
>org/apache/turbine/services/intake/transform/XmlToAppData, method: parseFile
>signature:
>(Ljava/lang/String;Z)Lorg/apache/turbine/services/intake/xmlmodel/AppData;)
>Incompatible object argument for function call
>	at

This is *exactly* the error (error java.lang.VerifyError, class
org.apache.turbine.services.intake.transform.XmlToAppData, method
parseFile) I was seeing last week.

Oddly enough, I saw it in the turbine.log, not the Tomcat logs.

In my case, the cause was having xerces-2 from Tomcat 4.1.10 conflicting
with xerces-1 from my TDK 2.1-based Turbine project.

Downgrading to Tomcat 4.0.4, and thus banishing xerces-2 from my
classpath, fixed the problem instantly.

>What else xerces-edition to use here?

I can't say specifically what version of xerces you should be using with
your configuration.  :-(

--
Edwin Gustafson
Cayman Chemical Company

Re: which xerces-version to use for Intake? (was: error instantiating Intake with T2.2)

Posted by Colin Chalmers <co...@maxware.nl>.
I seem to remember an issue we had that meant using Xcerces 1.3x.

/colin

Posted by Marc Lustig <ma...@marclustig.com>.