Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com> on 2007/08/24 11:27:37 UTC

[OT] RE: Is Tomcat being hacked by curl ?

> From: David Rees [mailto:drees76@gmail.com]
> You can use telnet to run a crude DoS attack, too. Or any other tool
> which can open a TCP connection. curl would not be my first choice to
> perform a DoS attack if I were so inclined.

No, it's a bit resource-intensive.  A good few years ago, when I was
testing credit card auth systems for a large UK retailer, I wrote a load
tester that would sustain upwards of 200 TCP connection attempts per
second.  It took me a couple of hours to write the core, and it ran on a
P100 desktop under Yggdrasil Linux, kernel version 1.0.0 - we never
found out how high it'd go, as the servers failed at a small fraction of
that load.  I've no doubt far more effective DoS (and DDoS) tools exist
than that now; this is merely a datum about just how easy it is to write
better hacking tools!

		- Peter