Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/09 20:57:20 UTC

[lang] Adding a Memoizer class

Hello All,

I am currently using a class like the Memoizer class [1] from "Java
Concurrency in Practice" [2], a great book.

It would fit perfectly in org.apache.commons.lang3.concurrent.

Any thoughts for or against?

Thank you,

Gary

[1] http://jcip.net/listings/Memoizer.java
[2] http://jcip.net/

--
Thank you,
Gary

http://garygregory.wordpress.com/
http://garygregory.com/
http://people.apache.org/~ggregory/
http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [lang] Adding a Memoizer class

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,
even if I'm not active on Lang, I'm very +1 for introducing this
feature, looks a great addition!!!
Have a nice day, all the best!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I would recommend staying with the standard name.  Why invent yet another
term for a well-known concept:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoization

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Oliver Heger
<ol...@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
> Am 10.08.2011 01:23, schrieb Gary Gregory:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Simone Tripodi<si...@apache.org>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Good news! :)
>>
>> Well... I am having second thoughts now baed on Tim's reply:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Tim Peierls<ti...@peierls.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Probably not a good idea to use Memoizer unchanged from the book, though.
>>> See Guava's MapMaker for ideas about how to turn Memoizer into a
>>> production-ready utility.
>>>
>>> --tim
>>>

>> Now I am thinking of dumping my Memoizer in favor of MapMaker... not
>> sure though. It seems smelly to bring in MapMaker into [lang].
>>
>> Thoughts,
>
> Just had a short glance on the API of MapMaker. My impression is that it is
> out of scope for [lang] as it is a full blown collection with many
> sophisticated features.
>
> Compared to this a Memoizer is a pretty simplistic component, but it may
> nevertheless be useful for some cases. It could be slightly extended, e.g.
> by providing a flush() operation.

Hi All:

I had a simple case to implement and using MapMaker was better that
the Memoizer I wrote. Just to flush (pun intended) things out with
some basic APIs like your flush() example quickly grows into a
MapMaker... I do not see the use case for a super simple MapMaker,
like something between a Java's ConcurrentHashMap and Guava's
MapMaker. I urge us to consider real use cases before adding this (I
know, I know, I am the one who proposed it.)

> And I would recommend another name. At least for me as non-native speaker it
> is hard to imagine what a Memoizer is supposed to do. I would probably use
> something with "Cache" in its name.

Yes, the name is a little obscure but describes the pattern correctly.
We could call it CacheSomething (the next release of Guava will have a
CacheBuilder class.)

The name will definitively reflect the usage POV but should not
present the class in a restricted way. Map is more general than Cache
for example.

Cheers,
Gary

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.