Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dustin <br...@yahoo.com> on 2005/03/10 22:56:09 UTC

Strange error-page behavior

Hey all. Very bizzare problem here.

I am running tomcat-5.0.28. I am trying to set up
custom error pages.

I originally set up a 404 error page for testing (the
error-page elements are in the server web.xml, not in
the app's web.xml):

  <error-page>
    <error-code>404</error-code>
    <location>/errors/404-SNAPSHOT.jsp</location>
  </error-page>

Put the jsp files in place (both in the ROOT webapp
dir and my app's war) and everything worked great.
However, as soon as I added additional error-page
elements and restarted tomcat, things broke.

  <error-page>
    <error-code>404</error-code>
    <location>/errors/404-SNAPSHOT.jsp</location>
  </error-page>
  <error-page>
    <error-code>401</error-code>
    <location>/errors/401-SNAPSHOT.jsp</location>
  </error-page>

Now my manager won't come up at all. A request to
http://host:8080/manager/html/list displays a blank
page. No authorization attempted.

A request to another app that uses authorization
(http://host:8080/auth-app/) pulls up the 401
Unauthorized page even though I was never prompted for
credentials.

A request to an app that has no authentication comes
up just fine.

I remove all but one of the error-page elements and
everything is back to normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
  Dustin