Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ola Ogunneye <oo...@adventisthealthcare.com> on 2003/12/02 14:13:10 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Where would I find RewriteEngine and .htaccess

Sorry to be such a pain, but I am a true newbie and I have never written
any directive. So could you please tell me where exactly I need to put
the rewrite directive?

"Put it in the same place you put your RewriteRule/RewriteCond
directives"

Is this in any part of the httpd.conf file or must it be at a particular
location?

Thanks in advance

Ola

>>> joshua@slive.ca 12/01/03 10:28PM >>>

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Ola Ogunneye wrote:

> I am trying to see exactly what is inside an .htaccess file, but there
> is none in my Apache installation. Is this something I need to create
> myself? I am running win2k and when I serached for the file in my
Apache
> directory, there was none. I have seen so many references to .htaccess
> and for it to not be in my installation seems a bit scary.

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/htaccess.html

> I was trying to enable mod_rewrite and someone suggested I check to
see
> if rewriteEngine is on, but when I searched inside the httpd.conf, I
did
> not find it. Is it safe to add the statement anywhere in the file.

Put it in the same place you put your RewriteRule/RewriteCond
directives.

Joshua.