Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Maring <St...@trcinc.com> on 2000/05/09 18:55:37 UTC

Cocoon 1.7.3 and Tomcat 3.1 config problem

OK. Time to put on my stupid hat again.  I recompiled Cocoon and Tomcat from
a clean slate.  Now, when I try to access the Cocoon.xml status page I get:

Publishing Engine could not be initialized.
java.lang.NullPointerException
  at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.init(Cocoon.java:135)
  at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.initServlet(ServletWrapper.java,
Compiled Code)
  at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:445)
  at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:559)
  at
(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java, Compiled Code)
  at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java,
Compiled Code)

I did not touch the cocoon.properties, and the jars needed by Cocoon are in
the classpath that Tomcat uses.

I added this to my tomcat.conf that httpd.conf includes:

Action cocoon /servlet/org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
AddHandler cocoon .xml

and this to the global web.xml:

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>properties</param-name>

<param-value>/usr/local/cocoon-1.7.3/conf/cocoon.properties</param-value>
        </init-param>
    </servlet>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.xml</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

And that's about it.  The Tomcat examples work fine.  What did I miss?