Posted to dev@joshua.apache.org by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org> on 2017/06/28 04:36:27 UTC

Merging 7.X into master??? + cleaning up branches

Hi Folks,
Two things...

   1. Currently the branches for Joshua are a bit of a mess... it would be
   better if they were named after JIRA issues such that the mappings back to
   some concrete development were explicit. Does anyone want to clean these up?
   2. Now that 6.1-incubating is released and live, Is there any desire to
   merge 7.X branch into master and continue development there? I was not
   involved with the 7.X development but it looked like a significant step
   forward... it would be a shame for that work to stagnate.

Thanks,

lewis

--
http://home.apache.org/~lewismc/
@hectorMcSpector

Re: Merging 7.X into master??? + cleaning up branches

Posted by Matt Post <po...@cs.jhu.edu>.
Whether to integrate neural stuff in Joshua is an interesting question. The research direction has been to develop fully neural systems that leave behind the phrase-based and hierarchical framework entirely. Doing this in Joshua would basically require a ground-up rewrite and is probably not worth the time. Moses has neural feature functions; for example, you can use a Nematus model as a rescore feature (though it breaks dynamic programming). This might be reasonable to implement as a project but it would be quite a bit of work and introduce GPU requirements that would raise the question of why you'd use Joshua if you had a GPU available. I think that it would be better to focus on low-resource scenarios and user-focused applications, instead.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
How about we follow the successful Git branching model way [1] to manage
our branches and releases.

[1] http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

Posted by Matt Post <po...@cs.jhu.edu>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.