Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Darren Lee <dl...@amplience.com> on 2014/05/12 15:53:03 UTC

SolrCloud - Highly Reliable / Scalable Resources?

Hi everyone,

We have been using Solr Cloud (4.4) for ~ 6 months now. Functionally its excellent but we have suffered several issues which always seem quite problematic to resolve.

I was wondering if anyone in the community can recommend good resources / reading for setting up a highly scalable / highly reliable cluster. A lot of what I see in the solr documentation is aimed at small setups or is quite sparse.

Dealing with topics like:

*         Capacity planning

*         Losing nodes

*         Voting panic

*         Recovery failure

*         Replication factors

*         Elasticity / Auto scaling / Scaling recipes

*         Exhibitor

*         Container configuration, concurrency limits, packet drop tuning

*         Increasing capacity without downtime

*         Scalable approaches to full indexing hundreds of millions of documents

*         External health check vs CloudSolrServer

*         Separate vs local zookeeper

*         Benchmarks

Sorry, I know that's a lot to ask heh. We are going to run a project for a month or so soon where we re-write all our run books and do deeper testing on various failure scenarios and the above but any starting point would be much appreciated.

Thanks all,
Darren

Re: SolrCloud - Highly Reliable / Scalable Resources?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re:
> we have suffered several issues which always seem quite problematic to
resolve.

Try grabbing the latest version if you can.  We identified a number of
issues in older SolrCloud versions when working on large client setups with
thousands of cores, but a lot of those issues have been fixes in the more
recent versions.

Otis