Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com> on 2011/09/29 10:10:01 UTC

Update on 3.4 rc.

Hi all,
 We are very very close to getting a release candidate out. Here is an
update on some work we need to do to finish off:

Patch Availables:

ZOOKEEPER-1197: Needs a reviewer. Pat/Ben would you be able to review?
ZOOKEEPER-1174: Already committed to 3.4. Is pending commit to 3.3 branch.
ZOOKEEPER-1181: I am reviewing this. Should be done by tommorrow.
ZOOKEEPER-1203: Looks like just needs to be marked fixed.
ZOOKEEPER-1206: Will check it in tommorrow morning as soon as hudson +1's.

Open Jiras:
ZOOKEEPER-1149: Pat again you are on the hook for this :).
ZOOKEEPER-1159: Camille/Matthias, any of you want to take it up?
ZOOKEEPER-1190: Will take a look at it and will ping Eric for the fix.
ZOOKEEPER-1207: Am very inclined to punt on it. Any takers?
 I am fine with saying RO feature is broken in the release.

I had planned to do an RC this week, but looks like we are close but
not there yet. Just need a final push. Really appreciate the effort
everyone is putting to get this through.

thanks
mahadev

PS: Ill be OOO from Friday until Tuesday next week.

RE: Update on 3.4 rc.

Posted by "Spycher, Matthias" <ms...@ebay.com>.
I don't believe 1159 is a bug if we assume the corresponding patch is supposed to fix something. It has no effect.

The filer may be expecting an expiration notification when the send thread terminates for reasons other than a SessionExpiredException having been thrown. One could distinguish between 'disconnected', 'expired' and 'terminated' -- though from my reading of the code, the latter should only occur if the user explicitly calls close() when the client is disconnected.

I do think we can tighten up state management in the client along the lines described in 1202. But this has more to do with close() and can be deferred to 3.5.

Matthias

I could really use some help on 1197 actually, if anyone is willing to help on the jira or ping me directly on this. Basically, that patch helps things quite a bit, but still doesn't fix the problem completely and I'm not sure where to go from here, if it is even possible to completely fix this issue. The alternative to the complexity in that patch is to just put a thread.sleep at the end of the command thread, before it closes the socket, to try and get data flushed out. Much simpler, still not perfect, but of course has other potential drawbacks. This is a major problem for anyone running servers in an WAN environment that needs to do monitoring, so it really should go into this release if at all possible.

If Mathias has some ideas on 1159 I'm all ears. I really don't feel comfortable throwing code in to "Fix" a concurrency bug we don't understand, and we don't have any explanation of the issue that makes sense yet.

RE: Update on 3.4 rc.

Posted by "Fournier, Camille F." <Ca...@gs.com>.

Re: Update on 3.4 rc.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
* I've de-prioritized 1207 (I'm still trying to get to it though)
* 1190 - I've commented on this with some low-cost options to resolve for 3.4.0
* 1197 is not a blocker imo. It's very important, but eod it's not a
regression and JMX can be used instead. (I'd be happy to help but I'm
swamped unfort).

FWIW: I've found one hard part about pushing out a release, esp as we
have grown, is clearing out all pending jiras and getting to a point
where we can cut a release candidate. In the past we've endeavored to
release with no "blockers". Perhaps we should relax this for 3.4.0
given the scope of changes and the length of the release cycle so far.
In all likelihood we'll see more blockers come in over time (before
the release is approved), what do we do then? Halt 3.4.0?

What if we work to get out a 3.4.0 (whittle down the 3.4.0 jira list
to the truly "must do") and clearly indicate that 3.3.3 is still the
"stable" release. Subsequent to which we can work towards a 3.4.1 that
resolves any remaining/new blockers (experience shows that it takes a
fix release or two to shake out new issues after a non-fix, ie minor,
release). This will get 3.4.0 into the hands of new users (doesn't
require svn co) and generate more feedback/issues.

Thoughts?

Patrick