Posted to users@maven.apache.org by mr...@sdc.dk on 2007/12/03 17:46:58 UTC

deploying without deploying - how do I turn off deployment of pom (or anyother default maven goal in a phase)?

Hi,

We have some documentation which is sufficiently code-like (html built
with xslt), that it needs to be built and deployed to a web server via a
maven module.

I have got it working via FTP using the antrun plugin.  No problems
there....

The build of the documentation happens in the install phase (this is the
most logical, and most developers will type "mvn install" without even
using their brain).

I have bound the deployment of the documentation to the deploy phase (and
used the pom packaging for my module).  This works, but it gives me a
problem....
... when I call deploy, it also deploys the pom to the remote repository -
which doesn't make any sense.  This is done by developers, and they
shouldn't in general touch the remote repository.  But this _is_ a
deployment, so I feel it is the correct phase to use.

How can I stop maven from deploying the pom.  Can't I disable the goal
somehow?  Do I really need to create a custom lifecycle? (this seems like
too much of a hack)

thanks in advance,

Michael

mrox@sdc.dk

Re: deploying without deploying - how do I turn off deployment of pom (or anyother default maven goal in a phase)?

Posted by Markku Saarela <ma...@iki.fi>.
Use mvn site-deploy

for more details look at http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-site.html

- markku

Posted by Martin Hoeller <ma...@xss.co.at>.
On 03 Dec 2007, mrox@sdc.dk wrote:

> How can I stop maven from deploying the pom.  Can't I disable the goal
> somehow?

This should be possible (not tested): just configure the
maven-deploy-plugin [0] not to execute in the deploy lifecycle.

See the POM Reference [1] and the Introduction to the Build Lifecycle [2]
for details.

hth,
- martin

[0] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/