Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by John Neffenger <jo...@status6.com> on 2019/11/05 17:14:32 UTC

Add an issue description template

I notice that many new issues are created by copying and pasting the
entire UI Log or IDE Log (or both) from a NetBeans View Data error
report into the issue description field. The Jira formatting makes it
difficult to find the error and stack trace, and the large amount of
text, often interpreted as Jira notation, causes my browser to hang when
editing it.

For example, I managed to move the log files to Attachments and the Docs
Text to Description in the following issue, but it wasn't easy, and this
was on a powerful workstation with the latest Firefox.

NETBEANS-3340: Code Completion/Insertion Stops Working. Internal
Exception Thrown
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-3340

I have three questions:

(1) Could we add some template text to the Create Issue Description
field asking people to add the UI Log and IDE Log as attachments,
preferably with a ".txt" file extension so that they open right in the
browser?

(2) As a longer-term solution, may I open an Improvement Issue to add a
Save button to the NetBeans View Data report that will save the UI Log
and IDE Log as text files for attaching later instead of asking people
to copy and paste them? See the current text below. [*]

(3) It appears that these exception reports are logged automatically
somewhere. Where on the Internet are all these exceptions being
recorded? If we already have them, we don't need the Jira issue.

Thanks,
John

----------
[*] Report Problem text:

You have found a bug in the application!

Please help Apache NetBeans by reporting this problem to our bug
tracking system. Click View Data button, copy the exception and submit
it together with detailed information about what you were trying to
achieve before the problem occurred in JIRA.

Thank you for helping us make Apache NetBeans better!

Re: Add an issue description template

Posted by John Neffenger <jo...@status6.com>.
On 11/6/19 12:24 AM, Christian Lenz wrote:
> Feel free to have a look/change it and maybe we can create a Infra ticket soon for that improvement. I think there are not that much concerns about it so it is good to go.

I opened the following issue with Apache Infrastructure.

INFRA-19430: Add an issue description template

Please add your comments about the template and your suggestions for
improving it directly to that issue.

If I got the template wrong, this could backfire and make them even
worse, but our current notice to copy and paste the log files is just
asking for bad bug reports. :-)

Thank you,
John

Re: Add an issue description template

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
We can set up such a Template in JIRA (it has a function like that). It
provides a specific URL for that template. We could embed that url  into
a JavaFX web component and we would have a bug reporting tool.

AW: Add an issue description template

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
My examples were not about using markdown, just give you an example on how others do it 😊 I’m fine with everything comes up with a better process than now. Thats it 😊

@laszlo great Idea with the JavaFX Thing 😊

Posted by John Neffenger <jo...@status6.com>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Sure, I mean they have separated fields if we can handle this under Apache, to have suche a template, why not. I don’t want to exegerate it. Using a plain text like others do in Github, for example here: https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/issues/new?template=bug_report.md or here: https://github.com/junichi11/netbeans-wordpress-plugin/issues/new smth simple with text inside the description field. But sure, go for it.

Yes, you should create a INFRA ticket first. Maybe they already have smth like that, for that, you can ask at infra.chat 😊

Cheers

Chris

Posted by John Neffenger <jo...@status6.com>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Hey John,

to (1):
I came up with this idea I think 2 or 3 times, but not specific for that long log case, more as a General solution. Creating a template for Bugs with a description and steps to reprocuce, etc. So that can prevent (not 100% for sure) first, developers from creating tickets only when an exception came up and they want to catch them in a single line ticket and it will make the tickets more valuable. Here is my proposal: https://pastebin.com/hcx7SDUb