Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Sai Jai Ganesh Gurubaran <sg...@cordys.com> on 2005/08/30 10:43:10 UTC

Problem with Downloads, using Apache as Forward Proxy

Hi,

I have posted many queries to Apache users mailing list but has not got
any answers till now. I need to desperately get this issue solved.

The issue is this:
        We are having Apache (version 2.0.54) installed as a forward
proxy on RHEL 3.0.
Downloads fail more often than being successful.

The set up:
------------------
Apache as the Forward proxy, connected to ISA server, which is in turn
connected to Firewall. Users connect to Apache as Forward proxy.

Issue:
---------
Partial/incomplete Downloading of file.
Download starts properly after some time it suddenly says download
complete. Attempting to open the file, we get invalid/corrupt downloaded
file alert.

For e.g.:
    if we attempt to download 116MB , download stops after 10 MB (some
time it went till 110MB).

When we directly connect to the web server, without Apache as a forward
proxy, we get successful downloads 100%.

Error log:
-------------

The error log does not show anything in 2.0.54.

Using 2.0.48, we get
	[notice] child pid 20653 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
and
	[Fri Aug 12 15:02:51 2005] [notice] child pid 431 exit signal
Abort (6)

If we use Apache 2.1.6 alpha:
        (104)Connection reset by peer: proxy: error reading response

We tested all the known versions of Apache 2.0 (2.0.48, 2.0.52, 2.0.54,
2.1.6 alpha). Changed the OS to RHEL 4.0 but the problem persists.

Without Apache downloads are successful.

We need to get this solved as early as possible. Please do help us in
this regard.

configuration of the HTTPD:
Note:
    The changed httpd.conf entries are as follows:

<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers       15
MaxClients        750
MinSpareThreads    25
MaxSpareThreads    750
ThreadsPerChild     50
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
#ServerLimit          10
MaxMemFree      2000
</IfModule>

#Apache as Proxy
ProxyRequests On

(Everything else is default conf file.)

Thanks and Regards,
Sai Jai Ganesh. G

Also, the recent log by Gerrit is the same situation as ours.

I Quote his post: