Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Dean <ti...@earthlink.net> on 2008/11/10 22:35:52 UTC

Setting up context.xml for an application

I have an application that requires some settings in a <Context>
configuration element. For a variety of reasons, I do not want to
include the context.xml in my app's META-INF path within the WAR file.
Based on the Tomcat 6 documentation, it seems like I should be able to
define a $TOMCAT_HOME/Catalina/localhost/MyApp.xml file for the
application with a context root of /MyApp. That's what I've been
trying to do.

The problem is that the file gets deleted every time a redeploy a new
MyApp.war file to the webapps folder. Perhaps this would stop
happening if I disable auto-deployment, but I really want to keep auto-
deployment on while I'm deploying frequently.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to define app-specific
context that does not get deleted every time I redeploy the app?

Thanks

- Tim

Re: Setting up context.xml for an application

Posted by Pavel Savara <pa...@intrade.com>.
I war file gets unziped into to webapp directory so during the redeploy
i would not try to deploy whole war but just copy changes into the your
application directory.

Palko

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Tim Dean [mailto:tim.dean@earthlink.net]
> Subject: Setting up context.xml for an application
>
> Is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to define app-specific
> context that does not get deleted every time I redeploy the app?

Don't think so.

Why don't you modify your deployment script to copy the .xml file over along with the .war?

 - Chuck