Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com> on 2009/11/11 00:23:56 UTC

Reorganized Documentation Pages

I have reorganized the documentation pages:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Documentation

Goals for the new organization:

1. Make search engines happy - use meaningful titles that identify our
pages
2. Place documentation for each component on an appropriate page. Avoid
placing all documentation on a high level "documentation" page.
Encourage people to add all the documentation they need for each component.

I'm willing to bet I made at least one mistake in the reorg - feel free
to edit the pages, or send me email asking for fixes.  But please keep
the tighter organizaiton!

I'd like to see us move to svn-versioned documentation that corresponds
to each version. It's hard to get a bunch of wiki pages to correspond to
a given release.

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Reorganized Documentation Pages

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
Robert Greig wrote:
> I have one question that isn't really related to the reorganisation per se.
>
> Looking at the "AMQP C++ Messaging Client" page, I don't see any links
> to any information that would interest a user - .e.g examples or API
> information. There are some guidelines for would-be contributors only.
>
> Where do C++ users go for help getting started?

Oops!

Fixed that page - here's the staged version, which will post in an hour
or so:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4589059

Posted by Bruno Matos <br...@paradigmaxis.pt>.
On 2009/11/12, at 14:04, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> Bruno Matos wrote:

>>> ack, it looks like tgis page is linking the wrong stuff, it is
>>> linking the dev page, and we have lost
>>> the API guide, user stuff somewhere...
>>>
>>> Carl.
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm new here and I don't know if this is the right place. I left a
>> comment on http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Qpid+Java+Build+How+To
>>  but I will share here too:
>> "I think that the trunk version only compiles with JDK 6. Please
>> correct me if I'm wrong."
>
> it should do 1.5 & 1.6. it would be worth firing you issues to the
> list so they can be proactively addressed on trunk for the upcoming
> 0.6 release
>
> Carl.

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Hello Carl,

One document thing again: on http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Getting+Started
  there is a link named Running the C++ Examples to https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/trunk/qpid/cpp/examples/README
  but the file in svn is https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/trunk/qpid/cpp/examples/README.txt
.

The first compile error that I found compiling against 1.5 was in src/
main/java/org/apache/qpid/transport/OpenException.java, this exception
extends IOException and try to do a super(String, Throwable), this
constructor for IOException only exists in java 6.

Regards.

--
Bruno Matos
bruno.matos@paradigmaxis.pt

Re: Reorganized Documentation Pages

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Bruno Matos <br...@paradigmaxis.pt>.
On 2009/11/12, at 13:17, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> Robert Greig wrote:
>> 2009/11/10 Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>:
>>
>>> I have reorganized the documentation pages:
>>>
>>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Documentation
>>>

>> Looks good.
>>
>> I have one question that isn't really related to the reorganisation
>> per se.
>>
>> Looking at the "AMQP C++ Messaging Client" page, I don't see any
>> links
>> to any information that would interest a user - .e.g examples or API
>> information. There are some guidelines for would-be contributors
>> only.
>>
>> Where do C++ users go for help getting started?
>
> ack, it looks like tgis page is linking the wrong stuff, it is
> linking the dev page, and we have lost
> the API guide, user stuff somewhere...
>
> Carl.

Hello,

I'm new here and I don't know if this is the right place. I left a
comment on http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Qpid+Java+Build+How+To
  but I will share here too:
  "I think that the trunk version only compiles with JDK 6. Please
correct me if I'm wrong."

Thank you,
Regards.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
2009/11/10 Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>:
> I have reorganized the documentation pages:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Documentation

Looks good.

I have one question that isn't really related to the reorganisation per se.

Looking at the "AMQP C++ Messaging Client" page, I don't see any links
to any information that would interest a user - .e.g examples or API
information. There are some guidelines for would-be contributors only.

Where do C++ users go for help getting started?

Thanks,
Robert

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org