Posted to users@directory.apache.org by "Mittal, Nitin (US - Mumbai)" <ni...@deloitte.com> on 2007/10/11 08:35:45 UTC

Linking apacheDS with another LDAP server

Hello,

I am new to use of LDAP servers.
Is it possible to link two LDAP servers in a way that my client doent need to search both of them.

My Requirement :-
I have two LDAP servers. A user account information can be in either one of them.
I don't want my client to be aware of all LDAP servers which it should search, in order to find the user.
The client should only be aware of one LDAP server as the base server which it is supposed to query, however, if the user is not found
in this base server, the search should automatically be extended to the other LDAP and returns success if the user is found there.

Is it possible to configure ApacheDS like this with any other LDAP server ?

thanks,

Nitin Mittal
Technology Integration
Deloitte Consulting Offshore Technology Group

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.

Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. [v.E.1]

RE: Linking apacheDS with another LDAP server

Posted by "Mittal, Nitin (US - Mumbai)" <ni...@deloitte.com>.
Hi,

I have now understood the concept of referrals and chasing,
However I am struggling with creating a referral entry in my apacheDS
DIT,
because the documentation for creating referrals is still not available
on apacheDS website (maybe I can contribute something if I can get this
working)

1.))  I created an entry with following classes :- top, extensibleObject
and referral
However I am not sure about the format of value string for attribute
'ref'
I tried following formats :-

ldap://remoteserver:10389
ldap:remoteserver:10389
Remoteserver:10389

But looks like nothing works.
Can you please help me with the format of this information or point me
to an available documentation on creating referral entry using
LDAPStudio.

2.)) One more question here :- If a correct referral entry is made into
the DIT, Will the LDAP browser show me the children of the remote
context there itself or not ? (I am using LDAPStudio browser)

3.)) Do I need to turn this referral feature on somehow before working
on this ?

thanks,

Nitin Mittal
Technology Integration
Deloitte Consulting Offshore Technology Group
Tel: +91 22 6644-5745 (Direct)
Tel: +91 9323624353 (Mobile)
Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mittal,

for such generic LDAP question, I would redirect you to some good LDAP books :
http://www.amazon.com/LDAP-System-Administration-Gerald-Carter/dp/1565924916
or
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Deploying-LDAP-Directory-Services/dp/0672323168/ref=pd_sim_b_2/002-2562815-8009610

because the answer could be way to long by mail.

Thanks for your interest !

On 10/11/07, Mittal, Nitin (US - Mumbai) <ni...@deloitte.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to use of LDAP servers.
> Is it possible to link two LDAP servers in a way that my client doent need to search both of them.
>
> My Requirement :-
> I have two LDAP servers. A user account information can be in either one of them.
> I don't want my client to be aware of all LDAP servers which it should search, in order to find the user.
> The client should only be aware of one LDAP server as the base server which it is supposed to query, however, if the user is not found
> in this base server, the search should automatically be extended to the other LDAP and returns success if the user is found there.
>
> Is it possible to configure ApacheDS like this with any other LDAP server ?
>

> thanks,
>
> Nitin Mittal
> Technology Integration
> Deloitte Consulting Offshore Technology Group
>

> This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.
>

> Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. [v.E.1]

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com