Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mysurf Mail <st...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/06 10:57:40 UTC

How to plan field boosting

I query using

    qf=Name+Tag

Now I want that documents that have the phrase in tag will arrive first so
I use

    qf=Name+Tag^2

and they do appear first.

What should be the rule of thumb regarding the number that comes after the
field?
How do I know what number to set it?

Re: How to plan field boosting

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Mostly guessing and trial and error - and eventually experience - unless you
are able to do tf-idf similarity math in your head!

You can look at the "explain" section of the output of the debugQuery=true
parameter and work through the math yourself as well. Look at the final
scores of documents you want to move relative to each other and then look at
the score contributions for each term, tf, df, and tf*idf.

-- Jack Krupansky