Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr> on 2013/05/03 19:52:32 UTC

Proposal to create sis-netcdf module Sunday

Hello all

If peoples agree, I could create a sis-netcdf module this Sunday and
port the CF 1.5 - ISO 19115 binding. It should be quick since I do not
envision major changes, and would give peoples an opportunity to start
experimenting ISO metadata on real data files. This binding is specified
by NOAA, so anyone working with NOAA data would be in good position for
improving that module after the initial commit if they wish.

The initial commit would be only the metadata part of NetCDF. The actual
data part would need to be done later (after we ported a "sis-coverage"
module...)

Does it sound okay?

     Martin

Re: Proposal to create sis-netcdf module Sunday

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me.

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by johann sorel <jo...@geomatys.com>.
ok for me.

Johann Sorel
Geomatys

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Sounds like a great idea folks.

Since I will not have cycles to contribute any work a +0.

Suresh

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello all

I have re-organized the SIS modules in "core", "storage" and
"application" groups as suggested by emails. I would recommend anyone
having a svn checkout to perform "mvn clean" *before* "svn update", in
order to avoid orphan "target" directories in the workspace.

I also took the initiative to rename "sis-parent" as "parent" for
consistency with all other groups, which have no "sis-" prefix. This
change should be invisible to users since I don't think there is any
reason why a user would reference this pom directly. However I can
revert if peoples think we should.

I did not changed the "groupId" of modules. Consequently the
<dependency> declaration in Maven projects using SIS is unchanged. We
currently have:

* org.apache.sis.storage groupId for sis-netcdf
* org.apache.sis for all other modules.

Whether the groupId should reflect the directory structure for all
modules is an open question. I'm neutral on that. I'm not sure it is
worth for "core" module. It may be considered for "application" modules,
but their names ("sis-app" or "sis-webapp") is already explicit...

     Martin

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
Excellent! These items should probably be migrated to the wiki too once they are implemented. Also, I just noticed that our Jira page is still referencing the URL for the incubator site[1]. I don't have the permissions to fix it...Logged a Jira issue here[2].

Adam

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SIS
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SIS-99

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Chris

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Johann

Le 06/05/13 09:12, johann sorel a écrit :
> Do we keep both coverage and feature stores in the same group ?

I was thinking to merge "coverage stores" and "feature stores" in the
same group, for the reason that you mentioned (according ISO, coverage
is a special kind of feature), and also because some storage like NetCDF
and PostGIS provides both coverages and features.

> What about web services clients ?

I'm fine about putting them in a separated group.

> Just with the Geotoolkit formats, that would make about 30 modules.

Well, one think I would like to do with SIS is to reduce the amount of
modules. It make senses to have a whole module for a very complicated
format, or for a format that introduce big dependencies. But if we have
many formats that are very small, it may make senses to provide some of
them in a common module. For example "GeoTIFF", "World File" and "ASCII
grid" sound small and basic enough for being in a common module.

> What about this :
>
> sis-storage
> - sis-shapefile
> - sis-geotiff
> - sis-postgis
> - ...
> sis-client
> - sis-wms
> - sis-wfs
> - sis-csw
> - ...

Sound fine to me.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Johan,

+1 I like your proposal.

Posted by johann sorel <jo...@geomatys.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Charith Madusanka <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

--
Charitha Madusanka
Linkdin : http://www.linkedin.com/pub/charith-madusanka/1a/508/42a

Re: Proposal to create sis-netcdf module Sunday

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
Hmm...It does make sense to do it that way. I look at the way GDAL references its drivers and writing out the entire name gets to be messy, IMO. "ESRI Shapefile" with the space in it is not cool.

So, if in Maven you need to reference each module with the preceding sis-* I think that would definitely be a lot cleaner.

Adam

On May 5, 2013, at 7:41 PM, Greg Reddin wrote:

> Something like that is what I'd suggest too.
>
> Sent from my mobile device.
>
> On May 5, 2013, at 4:31 PM, "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> +1, sounds good Martin.
>>
>> Let's have:
>>
>> sis-storage
>> sis-kml
>> sis-netcdf
>>
>> sis-shapefile
>>
>> Then. Sounds like we agree on package naming, so +1!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris

>> Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
>> Senior Computer Scientist
>> Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
>> Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
>> WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
>> Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department

>>> sis-shapefile

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Chris