Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/28 04:12:25 UTC

integration area in tree, advice needed

Folks,

Based on feedback from the Solr team, it looks like we're going to
need to build the Solr components needed for integrating ManifoldCF
security with Solr ourselves.

For the moment, I've dealt with this by adding another svn tree root
on a level comparable with trunk called "integration".  The idea is
that each individual integration artifact has a subdirectory under
this directory.  For example, solr-4.x contains code for building
components designed to integrate with solr 4.x, while solr-3.x
contains code for building components designed to integrate with solr
3.x.  Each subdirectory has a trunk, branches, and tags area too.

The alternative to this structure would be to put the pieces needed to
build the integration components under the appropriate connector.  I'm
not thrilled with that idea because it would bloat the ManifoldCF tree
enormously, and would also imply that the integration pieces be
released as part of each ManifoldCF release.  Instead I'd like to
separate such pieces.  We've already got another one - the SharePoint
server-side MCPermissions plugin - which I think we should consider
moving out of the connectors/sharepoint area, since the code and
versioning for it depends on the SharePoint version, not the
ManifoldCF version.

This, however, begs the question of how we actually release these
integration plug-ins.  We probably don't want separate download areas
for each one.  Instead, I'm thinking that we want to build them on
demand, and check in the resulting artifacts into the ManifoldCF
standard tree in appropriate places.  The build would then copy them
into a dist/integration directory, where they would be available to
people using the release.

Any objections?  Also, is there anyone in a position to build the
MCPermissions.asmx Sharepoint add-on?  (I might be able to do it, but
I'd need to dust off some old stuff and see)

Karl