Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/02 15:21:47 UTC

Re: Submitted Patches

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Jeremy Thomerson
<je...@wickettraining.com> wrote:
> Is there anything special I need to do after submitting a patch for a bug so
> that it gets included?  Currently I have three patches submittted to random
> bugs / requests, two of which have been there for quite some time with no
> comment and noone applying them.
>
> WICKET-1513 - bug that I think the patch is safe and should be committed
> WICKET-1916 - bug that I think the patch is safe and should be committed

this patch messes with url processing which is very fragile in wicket.
how extensively have you tested this because there are probably ten
bugs open right now for similar issues. we fix one and another one
pops up, so we are very careful when it comes to messing with stuff
like this. are you sure that patch didnt break any of the other
hundred usecases that have to do with ajax and ie6 on tomcat vs ie7 on
jetty? i hope juergen tested it extensively before applying.

> WICKET-1883 - I could see why this one may not be committed - it's huge, and
> Igor's already said it would probably wait until 1.5 (which is a shame,
> because I'm sure by then the patch won't work any more).

it wasnt applied because like you said you havent tested it
extensively. so the burden is on us and we would much rather work on
bugs then things marked as "wish". another reason it wasnt applied was
because we now have plans to rewrite that part of wicket entirely in
1.5.

> WICKET-1567

this wasnt applied yet because it has to do with 1.3 and compatibility
issues. are you sure there are no deployed wicket applications out
there that will break after this patch is applied because they depend
on existing behavior?

> Anyway - since I worked to fix those bugs, I don't want to see them fall
> through the cracks and would like to see them make it into future releases.

sure, but you also have to look at it from out point of view. you
write the patch which takes x time. we have to maintain that code
after you are done, which takes x*1000 time. so just because there is
a patch doesnt mean it will be applied. if you really want to help you
should concentrate on bugs for trunk. if you want to work on a "wish"
type issue or a 1.3  bug that changes runtime behavior you should let
it be known on the dev@ so we can make sure it is something we will
want to maintian.

thanks for your contributions.

-igor

Re: Submitted Patches

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
the only requirement is that you attach a patch in a unified format so
that it is easy for us to apply. we run the unit tests ourselves and
also test the functionality. if something doesnt work or the patch
doesnt apply cleanly we simply reject it or rework it. so, to answer
your question: no, there isnt anything special.

-igor

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Jeremy Thomerson

Re: Submitted Patches

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Re: Submitted Patches

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Submitted Patches

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
Notes inline.

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Jeremy Thomerson
> <je...@wickettraining.com> wrote:
> > Is there anything special I need to do after submitting a patch for a bug
> so
> > that it gets included?  Currently I have three patches submittted to
> random
> > bugs / requests, two of which have been there for quite some time with no
> > comment and noone applying them.
> >
> > WICKET-1513 - bug that I think the patch is safe and should be committed
> > WICKET-1916 - bug that I think the patch is safe and should be committed
>
> this patch messes with url processing which is very fragile in wicket.
> how extensively have you tested this because there are probably ten
> bugs open right now for similar issues. we fix one and another one
> pops up, so we are very careful when it comes to messing with stuff
> like this. are you sure that patch didnt break any of the other
> hundred usecases that have to do with ajax and ie6 on tomcat vs ie7 on
> jetty? i hope juergen tested it extensively before applying.

I ran all tests with "mvn clean test" and tested what I could in a
quickstart.  What else would you suggest?

> > WICKET-1883 - I could see why this one may not be committed - it's huge,
> and
> > Igor's already said it would probably wait until 1.5 (which is a shame,
> > because I'm sure by then the patch won't work any more).
>
> it wasnt applied because like you said you havent tested it
> extensively. so the burden is on us and we would much rather work on
> bugs then things marked as "wish". another reason it wasnt applied was
> because we now have plans to rewrite that part of wicket entirely in
> 1.5.

Yes, agree with this one completely.  This was just something I worked on
while at ApacheCon US Hack-a-Thon.  No worries.

> > WICKET-1567
>
> this wasnt applied yet because it has to do with 1.3 and compatibility
> issues. are you sure there are no deployed wicket applications out
> there that will break after this patch is applied because they depend
> on existing behavior?

It's a *bug* in 1.3.  Since it was fixed in trunk, I assumed that the core
devs had already considered it "safe" for future upgrades.  No - we're never
sure if there are "any" apps that will break, but this seems very innocuous.

Besides - what "existing behavior" could they be depending on - it currently
generates an invalid link that doesn't work?

> > Anyway - since I worked to fix those bugs, I don't want to see them fall
> > through the cracks and would like to see them make it into future
> releases.
>
> sure, but you also have to look at it from out point of view. you
> write the patch which takes x time. we have to maintain that code
> after you are done, which takes x*1000 time. so just because there is
> a patch doesnt mean it will be applied. if you really want to help you
> should concentrate on bugs for trunk. if you want to work on a "wish"
> type issue or a 1.3  bug that changes runtime behavior you should let
> it be known on the dev@ so we can make sure it is something we will
> want to maintian.

I guess this is something I don't understand.  Since the core devs are
focused on getting another high-quality release out (1.4), it would seem to
me that you would rather welcome true bug fixes for the 1.3 branch, which is
probably (my guess only) the most-deployed version out there.

I understand that not all patches will be committed, but what else can I do
to help besides go through issues filed as bugs, fix them, run all tests and
submit the patch?  What else do you do personally when you are fixing bugs?