Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@udanax.org> on 2008/06/09 09:25:34 UTC

An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine

Hi community,

I got "An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual
Machine" when i reduce the number of Tomcat server 3 to 1.

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00497de6, pid=10535, tid=1726987184
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (1.5.0_06-b05 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libc.so.6+0x68de6]  strcpy+0x26
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid10535.log
#
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

Have Anyone experience this?

--
Best regards,
Edward J. Yoon,

Re: An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@udanax.org>.
Ooops, sorry for my mistakes.
I use the jdk1.5.0_06, And it seems really JVM bug. :)

Thanks.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@udanax.org>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@udanax.org>.
JDK 1.5 seems buggy to me.
I would propose start with higher version JDK 1.5.*.

What do you think?

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@udanax.org>.

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@last.za.net>.
Even if there is such a problem, the JVM should never crash. The JVM
crashing means tomcat did something the triggered a bug in the JVM.
Even overwritting/reading on buffers should be safe, since the JVM
should catch it and throw an exception.

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Edward J. Yoon <ed...@udanax.org> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your nice advice.
> Then, Is there no related with the reduction of tomcat number?
>
> Thanks,
> Edward.
>
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Quintin Beukes <qu...@last.za.net> wrote:
>> Ouch. Rub it, will let the pain go away quicker.
>>
>> It's copying a too large byte string into a too small buffer.
>>> # C  [libc.so.6+0x68de6]  strcpy+0x26
>>
>> This is definitely a JVM bug. Are you running a beta JVM ->
>> 1.5.0_06-b05? I might be mistaken, but I've never noticed the b at the
>> b05 at the end of any of them. Try upgrading it and confirm that it's
>> still there.

>> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Edward J. Yoon <ed...@udanax.org> wrote:
>>> Hi community,
>>>
>>> I got "An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual
>>> Machine" when i reduce the number of Tomcat server 3 to 1.
>>>
>>> #
>>> # An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
>>> #
>>> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00497de6, pid=10535, tid=1726987184
>>> #
>>> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (1.5.0_06-b05 mixed mode)
>>> # Problematic frame:
>>> # C  [libc.so.6+0x68de6]  strcpy+0x26
>>> #
>>> # An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid10535.log
>>> #
>>> # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
>>> #   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
>>> #
>>>
>>> Have Anyone experience this?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Edward J. Yoon,
>>> http://blog.udanax.org

>> --
>> Quintin Beukes

> Best regards,
> Edward J. Yoon,
> http://blog.udanax.org

Quintin Beukes

Re: An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@udanax.org>.

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@last.za.net>.
Ouch. Rub it, will let the pain go away quicker.

It's copying a too large byte string into a too small buffer.
> # C  [libc.so.6+0x68de6]  strcpy+0x26

This is definitely a JVM bug. Are you running a beta JVM ->
1.5.0_06-b05? I might be mistaken, but I've never noticed the b at the
b05 at the end of any of them. Try upgrading it and confirm that it's
still there.

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Edward J. Yoon <ed...@udanax.org> wrote:
> Hi community,
>
> I got "An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual
> Machine" when i reduce the number of Tomcat server 3 to 1.
>
> #
> # An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
> #
> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00497de6, pid=10535, tid=1726987184
> #
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (1.5.0_06-b05 mixed mode)
> # Problematic frame:
> # C  [libc.so.6+0x68de6]  strcpy+0x26
> #
> # An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid10535.log
> #
> # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
> #   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
> #
>
> Have Anyone experience this?
>
> --