Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org> on 2008/07/27 13:25:41 UTC

Click Incubation - Status

Hi,

this is the current status for the Click incubation:

- ICLAs for Malcolm, Bob and Naoki have been received. ICLA for Ahmed is
still missing. As soon as this shows up, I will request accounts for
Click

- Mentors need to prepare a status page for the click incubation, as
described at http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#Initialize
+Podling+Status+Page

- Infra Tickets have been opened at INFRA-1689 and sub-tickets. If you
want to be added as a moderator for the click mailing lists, please add
yourself to the INFRA-1690 ticket

	Ciao
		Henning

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Correct me if I am wrong, but what you are saying is that there should
be a record somewhere (such as a Click prior email archive?) where a
person states his intent to donate the code? What if this person was a
committer, and stated his intent by quietly committing the code?

> In any case, "rewriting this code" does not have any impact on
> copyright.
> Nobody can change the copyright on a work by copying it, even when the
> copy is from distant memory (think music for comparisons).

I guess there are different theories about that. I am not ready to
argue in depth about that. But when I wrote a few Cayenne DB adapters
that had been written by other people before, I am pretty sure I
didn't steal anyone's original work.

Andrus

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org>.
Thanks for pointing this out; in case of Click, this probably means that
all current contribution, which are already covered by Apache licenses
are fine. So, while it is nice to track down the original authors and
get ICLAs from them to explicitly assign the code to the ASF, it is
actually not really requiredM a a copyright notice in the accompanying
files would be sufficient.

	Ciao
		Henning

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 22:26 -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> > Is there existing code in Click written by Ahmed? As getting an
> > ICLA or rewriting this code will be required as a part of the IP
> > clearance process.
>
> That isn't quite true.  The ASF requires documentation that the original
> author has licensed the code to the ASF or to someone who can license
> it to the ASF.  If, for example, the code was published by that author
> under the Apache License, BSD license, or any similar non-copyleft
> open source license, then the ASF can redistribute that code.  We may
> need to retain some original license headers, but we do not need
> everyone
> who isn't going to participate to sign an ICLA.  Likewise, an email
> message sent from the author saying that we can redistribute their code
> under the Apache License is a legitimate form of license -- just save
> the message in its original (raw) form.
>
> In any case, "rewriting this code" does not have any impact on
> copyright.
> Nobody can change the copyright on a work by copying it, even when the
> copy is from distant memory (think music for comparisons).
>
> > The ideal outcome would be for Ahmed to send an ICLA, regardless of
> > his future participation plans, but that's of course up to him to
> > decide.
>
> Yes, that is the most sensible thing.  He can send it via email if
> that helps.  Because the iCLA is not a copyright assignment (just
> a non-exclusive license), we can rely on any written communication
> that can be reasonably determined to be from the author.
>
> ....Roy

Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Java, J2EE, Linux
Mail: henning@schmiedehausen.org    -- Consultant, Architect, Developer
Web:  http://henning.schmiedehausen.org/

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2008, at 10:32 AM, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
>> My personal understanding here is, that Ahmed (and any other
>> contributor) contributed that code to a project that is already under
>> AL2. So there is no need to track down the contributors and/or rewrite
>> code where the contributor can not be tracked down. The AL allows
>> relicensing under AL2 ( :-) ), so the code in the repository is fine.
>
> The policy may have changed, but the above was NOT true when Cayenne was
> incubating. What I suspect is happening is that there is no *policy* as
> such, and instead we have a range of opinions.

It starts to sound like that.

> What you (and Roy) are saying makes sense to me, but it goes against
> everything I know about the practiced IP clearance process at Apache.

In my experience this is the same. Wicket had to track down ICLA's for
all committers on the project. Fortunately we didn't have that many
core folk, so this was rather easy.

Martijn

Apache Wicket 1.3.4 is released

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
OK thanks for that feedback.  These contributions were not
specifically assigned to me by the comitters, so I think there
copyright status is disputable. I dont think we need to consider this
aspect further, and should just proceed as normal.

regards Malcolm Edgar

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.
My personal understanding here is, that Ahmed (and any other
contributor) contributed that code to a project that is already under
AL2. So there is no need to track down the contributors and/or rewrite
code where the contributor can not be tracked down. The AL allows
relicensing under AL2 ( :-) ), so the code in the repository is fine.

The one thing that you *must* retain are the copyrights. So it might be
necessary to add to the NOTICE files some lines like

"This project contains code written by <contributor> and licensed under
Apache License 2. This code is  (C) Copyright <year of code>
<contributor name>

The situation is much worse for e.g. JSPWiki, because they *CHANGE*
license from (L)GPL to AL2. So they have to track down all the copyright
holders and ask them to relicense. And if they don't, they have to throw
out and rewrite the code.

An existing codebase under AL2 does not need this.

All IMHO. IANAL. I don't even play one on TV.

	Ciao
		Henning

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by bob <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrus,

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrus,

There are a number of Click Extras controls written by Ahmed, but
nothing in the core. These controls will probably have to be moved
into a separate non Apache project.

regards Malcolm Edgar

Re: Click Incubation - Status

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.