Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Cagatay Catal <ca...@bte.mam.gov.tr> on 2005/06/13 11:12:19 UTC

subversion admin tool

Hello,
I need a subversion admin tool to get reports from SVN repository.
Is there any tool which gives us some reports?

Also; is there any simple tools for developers to change their passwords
in SVN? Why does not Tortoise SVN support this?

Thank you.
Cagatay

RE: subversion admin tool

Posted by Martin Probst <ma...@x-hive.com>.
> For example; I want to get the modifications, check-ins of today by
> each developer.

There is also a nice solution using a post-commit hook to generate an
RSS feed using XSLT. Try googling for svnlog.xslt.

Regards,
Martin

RE: subversion admin tool

Posted by Gary Thomas <ga...@mlbassoc.com>.

Try looking at Trac: http://trac.edgewall.com/

Re: subversion admin tool

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On 13.06.2005, at 14:47, Cagatay Catal wrote:

>> Tell us more about what you're looking for. What specifically would
>> you like in those reports?
>
> For example; I want to get the modifications, check-ins of today by
> each
> developer. So; I will get some idea how developers work with SCMs
> (svn).

There may be a tool that does this, but I'm not sure. I think most
people get this kind of information by setting up a commit mailing
list. You set up a post-commit (and post-revprop-change) hook which
sends email to the list with the log message and possibly the diff.
To example commit mail scripts are included with the Subversion
distribution.

RE: subversion admin tool

Posted by Cagatay Catal <ca...@bte.mam.gov.tr>.

Re: subversion admin tool

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On 13.06.2005, at 13:12, Cagatay Catal wrote:

> I need a subversion admin tool to get reports from SVN repository.
> Is there any tool which gives us some reports?

Tell us more about what you're looking for. What specifically would
you like in those reports?

> Also; is there any simple tools for developers to change their
> passwords
> in SVN? Why does not Tortoise SVN support this?

There are many different ways you could set up password
authentication, and not all ways are available with all repository
access methods. You might have a text file of usernames and encrypted
passwords, or you might use ssh logins, or HTTP basic authentication,
or LDAP, or PAM, or something with SSL certificates. It's up to you
as sysadmin to define what your authentication scheme is, and then to
provide a way for users to manage their passwords. Whether that way
is that users walk up to you and say "change my password to this" or
something better is up to you.

Re: subversion admin tool

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Cagatay Catal" <ca...@bte.mam.gov.tr> writes:
> I need a subversion admin tool to get reports from SVN repository.
> Is there any tool which gives us some reports?
>
> Also; is there any simple tools for developers to change their passwords
> in SVN? Why does not Tortoise SVN support this?

Cagatay, please see

which explains why you shouldn't follow up to an existing thread when
you want to start a new thread.

Thanks,
-Karl

RE: subversion admin tool

Posted by James FitzGibbon <jf...@primustel.ca>.
The main reason there is not 'change password' support in Subversion is that
subversion doesn't have a single system for authentication.  Of the
supported repository methods, only 'svnserve' has built-in password support.
file:// doesn’t need it, svn+ssh:// relies on the underlying transport for
authentication, and http:// or https:// uses the many authentication modules
available for Apache.

TortoiseSVN (or any SVN client for that matter) can't presume to know the
mechanics of changing a password given the different backends, nor should
the backend presume to know the canonical source of password information.
On my servers, SVN authentication hits a custom LDAP schema.  There is no
LDAP code in SVN, so where would one even begin to take on a password change
task?  On other systems (not those used for SVN), password information
appears to be in the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files, but those files are
generated regularly from LDAP, so changes to them would be lost were a
backend to modify them.

SVN gives you great flexibility when it comes to authentication, but it
presumes that you are able to administer a database of users in your chosen
format prior to plugging SVN into it.  If you've installed a completely new
user database for use with SVN, then you can either get some other utility
to allow users to change passwords or look at integrating SVN with a
pre-existing user database you have installed.

Regards

I need a subversion admin tool to get reports from SVN repository.
Is there any tool which gives us some reports?

Also; is there any simple tools for developers to change their passwords
in SVN? Why does not Tortoise SVN support this?

Thank you.
Cagatay

This electronic message contains information from Primus Telecommunications
Canada Inc. ("PRIMUS") , which may be legally privileged and confidential.
The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information
is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please
notify us by telephone or e-mail (to the number or address above)
immediately. Any views, opinions or advice expressed in this electronic
message are not necessarily the views, opinions or advice of PRIMUS.
It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that
any attachments are virus free and PRIMUS bears no responsibility
for any loss or damage arising in any way from the use
thereof.The term "PRIMUS" includes its affiliates.

RE: subversion admin tool

Posted by Zsolt Koppany <zk...@intland.com>.
CodeBeamer (http://intland.com/products/codebeamer.html) supports managed
repositories, thus you can maintain the repository access that are role
dependent from the web.

Also online reports are provided about source code changes.

Zsolt