Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/11 20:45:08 UTC

Running HBase on Windows

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to run HBase on Windows.
I tried to setup HBase on a Windows machine (for development purposes). I
have Cygwin installed and ssh/sshd as well. I am trying to set up HBase in a
local mode, i.e. use the localfile system. I use HBase 0.1.1. When I run
start-hbase.sh, it fails starting the master server.

Here is the exception I see in the log:

2008-05-11 19:59:39,948 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HMaster: Can not start
master
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
        at java.net.URI.create(URI.java:854)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.getNamed(FileSystem.java:122)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HMaster.<init>(HMaster.java:888)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HMaster.<init>(HMaster.java:866)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.LocalHBaseCluster.<init>(LocalHBaseCluster.java:88)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.LocalHBaseCluster.<init>(LocalHBaseCluster.java:71)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HMaster.doMain(HMaster.java:3325)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HMaster.main(HMaster.java:3363)
Caused by:
java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in path at index 28:
file:/tmp/hbase-C:/Documents and Settings/tpowner/hbase
        at java.net.URI$Parser.fail(URI.java:2821)
        at java.net.URI$Parser.checkChars(URI.java:2994)
        at java.net.URI$Parser.parseHierarchical(URI.java:3078)
        at java.net.URI$Parser.parse(URI.java:3026)
        at java.net.URI.<init>(URI.java:590)
        at java.net.URI.create(URI.java:852)
        ... 8 more

The uri file:/tmp/hbase-C:/Documents and Settings/tpowner/hbase looks like
the core of the problem. Where did it came from ? How can I fix the problem
?

Thanks, Naama
--
oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo
00 oo 00 oo

Fwd: Running HBase on Windows

Posted by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

For the meanwhile I used hbase-site.xml to override hbase.rootdir in which I
don't use.home rather -

  <property>
    <name>hbase.rootdir</name>
    <value>file:///tmp/hbase</value>
     <description>The directory shared by region servers.
      Should be fully-qualified to include the filesystem to use.
     </description>
  </property>

This solved my problem.

I'd still be glad to know if there is a better workaround. Additionally,
where is user.home being set ?

Thanks again, Naama