Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Steve Mactaggart <st...@golftime.com.au> on 2003/12/15 01:52:53 UTC

Chainsaw:

Just a quick question about chainsaw...

Once its running and I customise it, is there a way to save these settings
so that on the next load they are all intact...  Thinks like the tab
highlights, tab name grouping value, ignores list, etc....

It would be nice to be able to save/load these options as I can then create
a few sets of configurations depending on what type of development or debug
that I am doing.

Hope this feature exists.

thanks

--------------------------------
Steve Mactaggart
Systems Architect
Golftime International
12 Strathalbyn St
Kew East 3102
Victoria, Australia

PH:   (03) 9859 5394
FAX:  (03) 9859 5655
WEB:  http://www.golftime.com.au
MAIL: steve@golftime.com.au

RE: Chainsaw:

Posted by Paul Smith <pa...@lawlex.com.au>.
> It's the splitting of the events into different tabs, the frst one, tab
> highlighting, was related to what rules for highlighting are defined per
> tab.

I think Scott Deboy has already done the saving of the colouring prefs,
that should be working?

The tab identifier preference is now available (thanks to Scott) from
the View menu->Application-wide preferences.  See the General tab of
that preference panel, 'Tab Identifier'.

The value you place in this field is a bit unclear at this early stage,
but is an 'expression'.

For example, the default is to look for 2 properties within each event
to grab the hostname and the 'application'.  Since these are defined
within the LoggingEvent's Properties collection, it is referenced like
this:

PROP.hostname - PROP.application

(hostname and application meaning to lookup the value of that key in the
event's properties, you can configure the, say, SocketAppender to add
the application property automatically)

If you wanted a Tab for each Level, you could just use this expression:

Level

You can mix and match different event elements to come up with your own
unique way of identifying which tab an event should get sent to.

The docs on what expression elements are currently supported is here:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-log4j/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/LoggingEventFieldResolver.java

(click on the first 'view' link to see the source, the javadoc should
get you started)

cheers,

Paul

RE: Chainsaw:

Posted by Steve Mactaggart <st...@golftime.com.au>.
Yeah, sorry wasn't to sure of the terminology.

It's the splitting of the events into different tabs, the frst one, tab
highlighting, was related to what rules for highlighting are defined per
tab.

I'll keep a note of options I set as I go, and let you know a list in
priority.

Re: Chainsaw:

Posted by Paul Smith <pa...@lawlex.com.au>.