Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Clandes Tino <cl...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2005/07/15 19:47:55 UTC

A Help needed: Is Lenya for my project?

Hi Lenya - people!
I am Milan and I am for years in J2EE fields, but with
no experience in CMS and especially not in Cocoon:)
I am assigned to lead a project for Document drafting,
amendment and publishing, something similar can be
found at: http://www.pleasereview.com
So, first before I get deep down to Lenya and Cocoon I
would like to ask if it can be upgraded without huge
effort to satisfy these needs:
- store users (authors and reviewers) along with their
organisations in RDBMS
- authors upload XML content with specified XML schema
- author creates workflow process and assignes tasks
to specefied reviewers
- system validates content against schema and aganst
some supplied schematron business rules.
- reviewer can comment a specified editable unit in
this kind of document (e.g amandment in some
legislation) with WYSIWYG editor. These comments are
stored in DB in threaded manner (comment on comment)
- Retrieve particular specified editable units for
this document type in some naviagtion bar
- when all reviewers specified in workflow finish
their reviewing, author accepts a comment and this is
inserted in WYSIWYG editor in specified section (e.g
amandment)
- document is published in PDF
- Live documents has to be searched in structured,
full text manner, e.g give me all amandments in
legislations which have term "Germany".
I used Lucene a lot so far, but always for
unstructured full text search scenarios.
So this is simplified scenario and these questions can
be extracted from it:
- how complicated is to add new servlets and
interaction with DB tables for users, organizations,
comments
- If Lenya search meschanism cannot be applied to some
structured content, how complicated is to implemt
Xindice API and use its search capabilities.
- Is there a user friendly way to specify workflow
process (I used in my career jawe XPDL editor)

I know that this is a lot of questions, but I think a
lot of people could have the similar among them, so
any help would be more than welcome.
Thank you in advance
Milan

Re: A Help needed: Is Lenya for my project?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Clandes Tino wrote:

>Hello,
>first thank you for the quick response.
>I would like to ask you some questions more and thank
>you in advance for the answers:
>

>>"authors" (login info) are being saved within LDAP
>>or filesystem, but
>>one could customize Lenya such that they are being
>>saved within a RDBMS
>>

>Q1: Is there any alive source code or documentation,
>doing/showing that?

The publication of the University of Zurich is using LDAP, which
can be found at

http://www.wyona.org

>>would need some customization for validation against
>>schematron business rules
>>

>Q2: any hint what particular lenya module to look at?

in the case of 1.2.X it might be similar to

org/apache/lenya/cms/cocoon/acting/HTMLFormSaveAction.java

where Schema (Relax NG) is being done

>>Retrieve particular specified editable units for
>>this document type in some naviagtion bar should be
>>possiblem, but what do you mean by "some navigation
>>bar"?
>>

>Q3: I mean left frame with tree like structure od
>particular document type, e.g
>legislation/act/amendment/section/paragraph

you mean that only the content of this XPath can be edited?

If so, yes

>>The functionality: when all reviewers specified in
>>workflow finish their reviewing, author accepts a
>>comment and this is inserted in WYSIWYG editor in
>>specified section (e.g amandment)
>>needs customization
>>

>Q4: I have a question for any of suplied WYSIWYG
>editors. Can they be configured to perform supplied
>XML Schema and Business rules validation in place. For
>example to alert when something invalid is submited.

that depends on the editor, for instance BXE and the Form editor
do schema validation and don't allow "illegal" input

>>Live documents has to be searched in structured,
>>full text manner, e.g give me all amandments in
>>legislations which have term "Germany".
>>I used Lucene a lot so far, but always for
>>unstructured full text search scenarios.
>>

>Q5: How Lenya can perform structured search described
>above?

Lenya provides a class mapping XML onto a LuceneDocument.
As an example

src/webapp/lenya/pubs/default/config/search/lenyadocs.xconf

>>Xindice API implementation in Lenya is possible and
>>has already been done
>>

>Q6: is there any source code available where I can see
>that or maybe some documentation?

we did this for a customer of ours and cannot release it because
of our customer, but it's really not very difficult. You might want
to take a look at the Java interface of Xindice.

HTH

Michi

>Thank you a lot again!
>Best regards
>Milan

Michael Wechner

Re: A Help needed: Is Lenya for my project?

Posted by Clandes Tino <cl...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hello,

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Clandes Tino wrote:

>Hi Lenya - people!
>I am Milan and I am for years in J2EE fields, but with
>no experience in CMS and especially not in Cocoon:)
>I am assigned to lead a project for Document drafting,
>amendment and publishing, something similar can be
>found at: http://www.pleasereview.com
>So, first before I get deep down to Lenya and Cocoon I
>would like to ask if it can be upgraded without huge
>effort to satisfy these needs:
>- store users (authors and reviewers) along with their
>organisations in RDBMS

"authors" (login info) are being saved within LDAP or filesystem, but
one could customize Lenya such that they are being saved within a RDBMS

>- authors upload XML content with specified XML schema

yes

>- author creates workflow process and assignes tasks
>to specefied reviewers

arbitrary workflows can be defined/configured (finite state engine),
but there is no GUI to define a workflows

>- system validates content against schema

yes

>and aganst
>some supplied schematron business rules.

would need some customization

>- reviewer can comment a specified editable unit in
>this kind of document (e.g amandment in some
>legislation) with WYSIWYG editor. These comments are
>stored in DB in threaded manner (comment on comment)

needs customization of the specific document type, whereas
for instance DocBook has something like that already

>- Retrieve particular specified editable units for
>this document type in some naviagtion bar

should be possiblem, but what do you mean by "some navigation bar"?

>- when all reviewers specified in workflow finish
>their reviewing, author accepts a comment and this is
>inserted in WYSIWYG editor in specified section (e.g
>amandment)

customization

>- document is published in PDF

yes, but depends on doctype

>- Live documents has to be searched in structured,
>full text manner, e.g give me all amandments in
>legislations which have term "Germany".
>I used Lucene a lot so far, but always for
>unstructured full text search scenarios.
>So this is simplified scenario and these questions can
>be extracted from it:
>- how complicated is to add new servlets and
>interaction with DB tables for users, organizations,
>comments

not sure what you mean

>- If Lenya search meschanism cannot be applied to some
>structured content, how complicated is to implemt
>Xindice API and use its search capabilities.

possible (has been done)

>- Is there a user friendly way to specify workflow
>process (I used in my career jawe XPDL editor)

not yet (see above), but shouldn't be too hard to develop an UI for this

>I know that this is a lot of questions, but I think a
>lot of people could have the similar among them, so
>any help would be more than welcome.

yes, I think the usecase of Document Management asks for these features.

HTH

Michi

>Thank you in advance
>Milan