Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org> on 2019/03/20 16:01:05 UTC

Tomcat Website Redesign

Hi all,

As you probably know I have been working on a redesign of the Tomcat
website but it's a bit of a challenge to come up with a design that
everyone likes.  The way I see it we have the following options ATM:

a) Do nothing, i.e. keep the website as-is [1] for now

b) I can address the issues that were brought up and fix them for the
current proposed design [2]

c) I can propose a new design with a vertical menu bar instead of a
horizontal one

d) Someone else can propose a design and I will implement it with
HTML5/CSS/JavaScript

e) Someone else can do the whole thing

IMO option (a) is not good because the site is very outdated and not
mobile friendly.  Many users nowadays view sites on their phones and/or
tablets, which a modern design can address.

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

Best,

Igal

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/
[2] http://people.apache.org/~isapir/mockups/tomcat-site/

Re: Tomcat Website Redesign

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.
On 3/20/2019 10:49 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 20/03/2019 16:01, Igal Sapir wrote:
>> <snip/>  The way I see it we have the following options ATM:
>>
>> a) Do nothing, i.e. keep the website as-is [1] for now
>>
>> b) I can address the issues that were brought up and fix them for the
>> current proposed design [2]
>>
>> c) I can propose a new design with a vertical menu bar instead of a
>> horizontal one
>>
>> d) Someone else can propose a design and I will implement it with
>> HTML5/CSS/JavaScript
>>
>> e) Someone else can do the whole thing
>>
>> IMO option (a) is not good because the site is very outdated and not
>> mobile friendly.  Many users nowadays view sites on their phones and/or
>> tablets, which a modern design can address.
>>
>> I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.
> As you are the one doing the work I'll support whichever option you
> prefer (although I'll note I'm not a big fan of option a)

Thanks, Mark!

I personally prefer option b which will also be the fastest to complete
at this point, but I know that Konstantin and IIRC Rémy didn't like the
horizontal navbar so I proposed the other options.

Igal

Re: Tomcat Website Redesign

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.