Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/01/23 01:39:41 UTC

Re: [Fwd: License & Copyright concerns Re: [plugins] pod-input auto install]

The issues that Rick raised are still relevant to be answered.

Rick Tessner wrote:
[snip]
> Thanks for this Ron!  Tested it out and looks like it works well. :)
>
> I've been going through the zip you provided and I have a few concerns
> however.
>
> Java Class and Plugin Naming
> ----------------------------
>
> I'm hoping some of the other committers can comment on this since I
> don't know the answer off the top of my head.
>
> There is a Java class included and it's named:
>
>         org.rblasch.forrest.plugin.PodGenerator
>
> and the plugin itself is named:
>
>         org.rblasch.forrest.plugin.pod-input
>
> Is there any problem in including something named like the above in the
> Apache Forrest distribution?

If it were to be included with the distribution, then yes.

> Copyright Notices
> -----------------
>
> It looks like theres at least of few files that contain a copyright
> notice of the form
>
>         Copyright 2004 Ronald Blaschke.
>
> with the "Apache License" listed below it.  Again, I'm not sure of the
> rules in terms of including this in an official Apache distribution.
> Any of the other committers know this off the top of their heads? :)

That is the correct way for Ron to apply the Apache License to
his own distribution. If it were to be included in Forrest,
then that line would have the original Apache copyright line.

> The files in question are:
>
>         ./src/java/org/rblasch/forrest/plugin/PodGenerator.java
>         ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/index.xml
>         ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/download.xml
>         ./src/documentation/skinconf.xml
>         ./status.xml
>
> Included JAR files and License
> -------------------------------
>
> There are two jars included in this zip file as well, but I didn't see
> any corresponding license files.
>
>         jpod.jar
>         matra.jar
>
> For the above, there should be license files named
>
>         jpod.jar.license.txt
>         matra.jar.license.txt

Yes. We would encourage plugin authors to follow our style of
licensing notification and jar naming. The jar names include
a version number and the are accompanied by a *.license.txt
file with the exact same basename.

> The licenses would obviously need to be compatible with Apache License
> 2.0.

Correct. They must not impose restrictions beyond those
of the Apache License.

> Inclusion of Perl Documentation
>
> The directory src/documentation/content/xdocs/Pod contains what appear
> to be official Perl documentation which I'm guessing would fall under
> the "Perl Artistic License".  Again, I'm not sure whether we would be
> able to distribute this as part of an Apache Project.

We would need to explore that some more, if this became a real case.

--David