Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joseph A Nagy Jr <jn...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/16 00:16:33 UTC

[users@httpd] vhost Problem

For some reason, I'm getting the following error message in the logfile for
a new virtual host (in addition to getting a 403 Forbidden when trying to
pull up the directory index):

[Sun May 15 17:10:59 2005] [crit] [client 207.144.230.112] (13)Permission
denied: /home/shadowtaint/public_ht
ml/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

despie the fact that there is an empty .htaccess file that has the proper
permissions (I have .htaccess enabled for those who want to use it). I've
disabled .htaccess support and restarted and I get the same error meessage
and the same 403 Forbidden message when trying to pull up the directory
index of the vhost. What's up?

I'm thinking I just need a second pair of eyes at my vhost conf for this
person so here it is:

<VirtualHost *>
         DocumentRoot /home/shadowtaint/public_html/
         ServerName shadowtaint.joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
         CustomLog /home/jnagyjr/logs/shadowtaint-access.log combined
         ErrorLog /home/jnagyjr/logs/shadowtaint-error.log
         ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/shadowtaint/public_html/cgi-bin/
  <Directory "/home/shadowtaint/public_html">
         Options All Multiviews
  </Directory>
  <Directory "/home/shadowtaint/public_html/cgi-bin">
      AllowOverride None
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

TIA

Re: [users@httpd] vhost Problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/05, Joseph A Nagy Jr <jn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For some reason, I'm getting the following error message in the logfile for
> a new virtual host (in addition to getting a 403 Forbidden when trying to
> pull up the directory index):
>
> [Sun May 15 17:10:59 2005] [crit] [client 207.144.230.112] (13)Permission
> denied: /home/shadowtaint/public_ht
> ml/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

This indicates that apache tried to check for the .htaccess file, but
filesystem permissions prevented it.

> despie the fact that there is an empty .htaccess file that has the proper
> permissions (I have .htaccess enabled for those who want to use it). I've
> disabled .htaccess support and restarted and I get the same error meessage
> and the same 403 Forbidden message when trying to pull up the directory
> index of the vhost. What's up?

If you had really disabled .htaccess (by setting AllowOverride none
for that directory) then the problem would have disappeared, so I
suspect you didn't disable it properly.

But if you want to use .htaccess, what you need to do is fix the
filesystem permissions on the file and directory in question.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] vhost Problem

Posted by Joseph A Nagy Jr <jn...@gmail.com>.
Gene wrote:
> Which OS - If *nix, what does ls -l show for the directory chain and
> ,htaccess?
>
> Gene
<snip>

File permissions are always the last thing I look at, I don't know why. ):

Thanks though. (:

Re: [users@httpd] vhost Problem

Posted by Gene <li...@Bomgardner.net>.