Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ryan Wynn <rw...@us.ibm.com> on 2005/08/04 16:24:59 UTC

Tapestry and JSR-168

I am hoping to understand how tapestry is designed for JSR-168.
Specifically how Tapestry executes inside the two phase Event-Render
lifecycle of JSR-168 portlets.  I need to develop portlets that share data
and I am interested in how I can tap into the messaging api for JSR-168.
Previously using Struts I was able to share data between portlets through
an external cache.  I was able to have my Struts actions extend an IBM
interface (IStrutsPrepareRender) that dictated whether or not that action
was executed in the Event Phase or the Render Phase (If
IStrutsPrepareRender was implemented that meant to execute in the render
phase).  When I needed to send messages between portlets I had receiver
implement IStrutsPrepareRender and the sender not implement it.  This
ensured that the timing was correct (so that the receiving action would
always pick up the message from the cache after the sender had put it
there).

Any help understand how I could use a similiar mechanism in Tapestry would
be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Re: Tapestry and JSR-168

Posted by Mark Wilcox <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan,
I can't really answer the Tapestry question but I'm active with
portlets - but to my knowledge there is no messaging API in the
JSR-168 specification. It's a common question (how to share data
between portlets) but there is no standard way to do that.

Mark W.