Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Teeters <Je...@Teeters.com> on 2000/01/22 21:31:57 UTC

blackdownRC3 best for tomcat on RedHat 6.1

Hello,

I sent a previous e-mail about problems getting the
binary of tomcat to run on Redhat 6.1 linux.

I got it running by downloading the source of
tomcat, and building it.

However, it only worked with the blackdown RC3
sdk1.2.2 java.  The sun version of Java (sdk1.2.2rc2)
and the IBM Java (sdk118) both built the files,
but failed when running tests.

More information and outputs of the tests are given at:
http://cis.merritt.edu/~jteeters/development/jakarta

My conclusion is that people using RedHat6.1 should
download the source and build tomcat using the blackdown RC3
version of Java.

Hope this information is helpful.

Best Regards,

-Jeff
Jeff@Teeters.com

Re: blackdownRC3 best for tomcat on RedHat 6.1

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
"S.Ramaswamy" wrote:

> Jeff Teeters wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > My conclusion is that people using RedHat6.1 should
> > download the source and build tomcat using the blackdown RC3
> > version of Java.
>
> I thought the whole idea of java is WORA (Write Once Run Anywhere)   :)

There are no problems in bringing Java Binaries from one VM to another,
expecially in Solaris and Windows (never had a compatibility problem,
with whatever VM I tried, IBM and SUN).
The Linux world is a little bit late on that. I think we reached
stability on the 1.1 platform with the Linux VM from IBM (jdk-118), but
for 1.2 there are still a few tweaks...
Personally speaking I never had problems with the SUN virtual machine,
but I have to admit that I didn't test it out really hardly :)

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

Re: blackdownRC3 best for tomcat on RedHat 6.1

Posted by "S.Ramaswamy" <sr...@giasdl01.vsnl.net.in>.
Jeff Teeters wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I sent a previous e-mail about problems getting the
> binary of tomcat to run on Redhat 6.1 linux.
>
> I got it running by downloading the source of
> tomcat, and building it.
>
> However, it only worked with the blackdown RC3
> sdk1.2.2 java.  The sun version of Java (sdk1.2.2rc2)
> and the IBM Java (sdk118) both built the files,
> but failed when running tests.
>
> More information and outputs of the tests are given at:
> http://cis.merritt.edu/~jteeters/development/jakarta
>
> My conclusion is that people using RedHat6.1 should
> download the source and build tomcat using the blackdown RC3
> version of Java.

I thought the whole idea of java is WORA (Write Once Run Anywhere)   :)

> Hope this information is helpful.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> -Jeff
> Jeff@Teeters.com

S.Ramaswamy
Matrix Infotech Syndicate
D-7, Poorti, Vikaspuri, New Delhi, 110018, India
PHONE:    +91-11-5610050,   FAX: +91-11-5535103
WEB         http://MatrixInfotech.HyperMart.Net