Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Robertson Williams <rw...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/31 11:13:59 UTC

Type of TypeVariable 'OT' in 'class org.apache.flink.api.common.io.RichInputFormat' could not be determined.

I test streaming to read data through JDBCInputFormat with code snippet as
below (scala 2.11, flink 1.0)

val input = JDBCInputFormat.buildJDBCInputFormat.
                    setDrivername(driver).
                    setDBUrl(url).
                    setQuery(sql).
                    setUsername(user).
                    setPassword(password).
                    finish.
                    asInstanceOf[JDBCInputFormat[Tuple1[String]]]

val env = StreamExecutionEnvironment.getExecutionEnvironment
    val dataset = env.createInput(input)
    dataset.writeAsText("/tmp/jdbc.txt")
    env.execute("jdbc-test")

However submitting the job it throws

Type of TypeVariable 'OT' in 'class
org.apache.flink.api.common.io.RichInputFormat' could not be determined.
This is most likely a type erasure problem. The type extraction currently
supports types with generic variables only in cases where all variables in
the return type can be deduced from the input type(s).
org.apache.flink.api.java.typeutils.TypeExtractor.createTypeInfoWithTypeHierarchy(TypeExtractor.java:670)
org.apache.flink.api.java.typeutils.TypeExtractor.privateCreateTypeInfo(TypeExtractor.java:564)
org.apache.flink.api.java.typeutils.TypeExtractor.getInputFormatTypes(TypeExtractor.java:272)
org.apache.flink.streaming.api.environment.StreamExecutionEnvironment.createInput(StreamExecutionEnvironment.java:1011)
org.apache.flink.streaming.api.scala.StreamExecutionEnvironment.createInput(StreamExecutionEnvironment.scala:484)

Where should I add that OT stuff so to avoid the type erasure problem?

Thanks

Re: Type of TypeVariable 'OT' in 'class org.apache.flink.api.common.io.RichInputFormat' could not be determined.

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
Hi Robertson,

You need to supply a TypeInformation for the data read from the InputFormat.

val dataset = env.createInput(input, new TupleTypeInfo(Tuple1.class,
BasicTypeInfo.STRING_TYPE_INFO))

should do the trick.

Cheers,
Max