Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Slava Bizyayev <sb...@outlook.net> on 2005/04/18 17:00:15 UTC

Web Content Compression FAQ - update

Updated POD version is attached regarding the Stas' suggestion of better
formatting. Any other questions and/or suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,
Slava

Re: Web Content Compression FAQ - update

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Slava Bizyayev wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 23:08, Scott Gifford wrote:
>
>>... I'm just explaining why the > probably showed up.
>

> Right, I hope I've fixed this in POD original for now by joining 'From'
> line with the previous one. Luckily for me, it was not the beginning of
> the paragraph...

:)

> In common case for the future, it would probably be safer to email POD
> as *.pod.gz file, or inside the *.tar.gz, won't it?

Actually, not, as it makes it hard to review and comment on the pod.
Normally if the change is not very big it's the best to send a patch as an
output of diff(1) against the current pod, in your case:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/tutorials/client/compression/compression.pod.orig

Re: Web Content Compression FAQ - update

Posted by Slava Bizyayev <sb...@outlook.net>.

Posted by Scott Gifford <sg...@suspectclass.com>.
Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:

> Scott Gifford wrote:
>> Slava Bizyayev <sb...@outlook.net> writes:

[...]

>>>Strangely... There is no '>' in my original. Neither I find in
>>>attachment that I sent...
>> That's a standard mangling required by the Unix mbox format; new
>> messages are signaled by a line beginning with "From ", so any lines
>> that really do begin with "From " have to be escaped, usually by a >
>> character.  It's best to just try to pretend you don't notice.  :)
>
> It doesn't make sense for attachments though.

The Unix mbox format was invented before MIME, and applies to anything
in a mailbox.  Your POD file was attached as text/plain, so didn't
have any encoding that would have stopped a literal "From " at the
beginning of the line.

I'm not arguing that it's a good format, just explaining how it works.

> And an unescaped > in pod is an error.

Yup.  I'm just explaining why the > probably showed up.

----ScottG.

Re: Web Content Compression FAQ - update

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Scott Gifford <sg...@suspectclass.com>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Slava Bizyayev wrote:
> Thanks, Stas!
> On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 12:10, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Thanks Slava, committed.
>>
>>I'd further suggest to drop all =head2 strings, merging the content with
>>the question, making the TOC even more useful and the text more readable.
>

> Frankly speaking, I don't like this idea. From my point of view, it
> makes all headers mess and confusing. In current version TOC is like an
> abstract of the main text. In some cases it might be sufficient to read
> a TOC only. Again, from my point of view, it makes sense, and I would
> like to keep it as is...

Sure, let's keep it this way.

>>Also, please fix your original:
>>
>>- >From the perspective of global architecture and scalability planning,
>>+ From the perspective of global architecture and scalability planning,

> Strangely... There is no '>' in my original. Neither I find in
> attachment that I sent...

As someone has replied to me off-line, it must have been a misdoing of
your mail client, mangling your attachments. Check the attachment that was
received by the list. It has >From.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=111383643818718&q=p3

Re: Web Content Compression FAQ - update

Posted by Slava Bizyayev <sb...@outlook.net>.
Thanks, Stas!
On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 12:10, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Thanks Slava, committed.
>
> I'd further suggest to drop all =head2 strings, merging the content with
> the question, making the TOC even more useful and the text more readable.

Frankly speaking, I don't like this idea. From my point of view, it
makes all headers mess and confusing. In current version TOC is like an
abstract of the main text. In some cases it might be sufficient to read
a TOC only. Again, from my point of view, it makes sense, and I would
like to keep it as is...

> Also, please fix your original:
>
> - >From the perspective of global architecture and scalability planning,
> + From the perspective of global architecture and scalability planning,

Strangely... There is no '>' in my original. Neither I find in
attachment that I sent...

Anyway, thanks once again,

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Slava Bizyayev wrote:
> Updated POD version is attached regarding the Stas' suggestion of better
> formatting. Any other questions and/or suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks Slava, committed.

I'd further suggest to drop all =head2 strings, merging the content with
the question, making the TOC even more useful and the text more readable.

Also, please fix your original:

- >From the perspective of global architecture and scalability planning,
+ From the perspective of global architecture and scalability planning,

Thanks