Posted to general@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2007/11/12 07:32:12 UTC

James board report 2007 November

Note that this was supposed to be the 2007 October report, but I missed
the deadline.

Highlights

* jSPF 0.9.5 released after the dependency issue was resolved.
* Jochen Wiedmann is a new committer
* No new PMC members
* MarkMail Powered by Apache James!
* I'm resigning as PMC chair

Details

The project is moving slowly, but fast in a relative sense. :)  Progress
is being made on IMAP (led by Robert Burrell Donkin) and refactorings
that allow James to optionally start using the Spring framework (led by
Bernd Fondermann).  With progress comes an opportunity to rebuild trust,
and so far so good.

A jSPF release had been held up by a needed change in a dependent
library whose code we couldn't fork.  Stefano Bagnara helped to convince
them to apply this contentious patch, and with that in place, then we
could release jSPF.

You heard the news about what MarkMail is, and Jason Hunter dropped the
project an email to let us know and thank us for Apache James as it is
core to their email processing system.

I announced my intent to resign as PMC chair several weeks back, and
there's been a healthy discussion of who will take over these duties and
what qualities we'd want in that person and that role.  I had hoped we'd
have a resolution ready for this board meeting, but not quite ready yet.
  Should be ready for the December board meeting.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501