Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Joe <jo...@joeshouse.net> on 2001/09/04 21:51:41 UTC

SMTP Auth in James

Hi there everyone, I'm new around here...  Just started playing around with James for a bunch of things our small company needs, plus I'm looking to lend a hand to the OS movement...  At any rate, I have a few questions I hope someone on this list can answer.  Here goes:

I noticed in the latest nightly build, there was code added for doing SMTP auth.  I tried using this with Outlook Express, and it wasn't functioning correctly.  Is this a work in progress?  Is anyone currently working on it?  Is it just a problem running under W2K?

Also, I had read about the desire to move the DB facilities in James away from "Town", to straight JDBC/sql...  Was also wondering if anyone was working on this, as this is definitely something I could do.

Finally, what's the status on using James for humungous mailing lists?  We have over 160,000 emails that need to go out daily, and was wondering if anyone had worked with any volume like that.

Thanks a bunch for any help, and any additional pointers within this project are more than welcome.  :-)

Joe Hanish

Re: SMTP Auth in James

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Joe,

Thanks for your interest.  I'm not very familiar with the SMTP auth part,
but I thought it was working... I'm pretty sure all the code for that is in
the SMTPHandler.java file if you want to look into it.

The DB facilities are mostly done.  There are some matchers/mailets that I
think still exist, but otherwise the user repository and mail repository are
in the 'userstore' proposal and will be moved to the main tree soon.
Testing is always appreciated though.

160,000 emails might be possible, but I'd be leary about saying we could
handle that at this point without more testing.  We handle several thousand
a day (on certain days) on the 1.2.1 release without any trouble, and that
version is significantly slower than what's in CVS, and we're using a
network database as the store for all spools, inboxes, and everything else.
I'd be interested to see results of any testing you did.  I know with local
delivery James can handle messages rather quickly, but [realistic] remote
delivery complicates things.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/