Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Benjamin Jaton <be...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/11 18:52:24 UTC

Re: 3.4.6 release date?

I am going to follow up on that thread since I ran into the same problem,
and it is indeed related to ZOOKEEPER-1096.

Basically I used to use the hostname in my zoo.cfg, which under Ubuntu,
resolves to 127.0.1.1.
So all of a sudden, upgrading ZK made my server invisible to the other
machines.

I remember running into that same issue with OpenMQ as well, and they
explicitely mention it in their documentation:
*In particular, some Linux installers automatically set the local host to a
loopback network address, most commonly 127.0.0.1. On such systems, you
must do the following: For each Linux system participating in the cluster,
check the /etc/hosts file as part of cluster setup. If the system uses a
static IP address, edit the /etc/hosts file to specify the correct address
for the local host. If the address is registered with Domain Name Service
(DNS), edit the file /etc/nsswitch.conf so that DNS lookup is performed
before consulting the local hosts file.*
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18930_01/html/821-2438/aeohz.html#aeoia

Then I found out about the magical option *quorumListenOnAllIPs=true* to be
added in zoo.cfg.
I think this option should be kept not only for backward compatibility but
also because it can be really useful in some deployments.

Best,
Ben