Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io> on 2017/04/19 02:42:48 UTC

Re: offset commitment from another client

Consumers are responsible for committing offsets, not brokers. See
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#design_consumerposition for more
of an explanation of how this is tracked. The brokers help coordinate
this/store the offsets, but it is the consumers that decide when to commit
offsets (indicating they have processed the data).

-Ewen