Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Serge Beaumont <se...@sogeti.nl> on 2004/02/21 20:48:38 UTC

FYI: Deploying the Tapestry tutorial on JBoss

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for updating the tutorial for 3.0: I'm a Tapestry newbie and it really helps to get a feel for Tapestry as long as there's no book... :-). I do a lot of work with JBoss, so I changed the deploy.xml files so they will work there. Great trick with the external builder thing in Eclipse: I didn't know about it. Apart from that, I think my knowledge of Ant is a tad better, and I changed the file so it has the style you can find in the Ant In Action book. It does more (copies lib files if necessary) with less lines and only needs two settings: one for the jboss home and one for the tapestry home. I'm sending it over because I believe that the tutorial is actually easier with JBoss than Tomcat: no need to have JBoss running during the deploy. It just copies the .war to the correct directory and JBoss will pick it up automatically. Deploying on JBoss is MUCH cleaner than on Tomcat and that fact alone makes me choose it over Tomcat by itself.

BTW: Eclipse has great support for debugging with JBoss by installing the JBoss IDE plugin. After installing it like any other Eclipse plugin, you can find all kinds of JBoss startups under the Debug... menu item. All they really need is that you set the JBoss home directory for the startup target.

Grtz,

Serge.

Serge Beaumont

Senior Technical Architect
Engineering & Projecten
Sogeti Nederland B.V.
T: +31 (0) 20 660 66 00 + nakiesnummer 0391
F: +31 (0) 20 660 66 32
e-mail: serge.beaumont@sogeti.nl
www.sogeti.nl

www.sergebeaumont.com

The easiest way to learn something is to forget that you didn't know it.