Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Florian Hockmann <fh...@florian-hockmann.de> on 2018/02/20 19:30:38 UTC

Re: [TinkerPop] Re: Docker images: gremlin-server and gremlin-console

Thanks to a ticket where someone mentioned that he uses Docker images of
the Gremlin Server (TINKERPOP-1893
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TINKERPOP-1893>), I noticed that
there aren't any up-to-date Docker images for Gremlin Server or Console
on hub.docker.com:

The highest version for Gremlin Server is 3.3.0 from this image:
https://hub.docker.com/r/bricaud/gremlin-server/
and for Gremlin Console it's still version 3.2.4 that Jean-Baptiste
mentioned in the first post of this thread:
https://hub.docker.com/r/jbmusso/gremlin-console/

So, I wanted to ask: Are there any updates on this?

Can't we as a first step simply include the Docker images from
Jean-Baptiste into our main repo and integrate it into our usual build
and deployment process so we always release Docker images with each
release? (Assuming that Jean-Baptiste is willing to transfer the images
to TinkerPop.)

We can still add more advanced features like an easier configuration of
things like REST vs WebSockets or loading of datasets later when we have
initial versions of both Docker images in place.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.
i've always been +1 for TinkerPop having it's own official docker images
published when we release. i'm just dumb about how to do such things.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.
In my opinion, I don't think we need to go backward in time to improve old
docker images. We deploy the images when we tag a version for release and
it stays that way forever just like our other release artifacts. If you
want a better version of the docker image then upgrade your TinkerPop
version accordingly.

Posted by Florian Hockmann <fh...@florian-hockmann.de>.

Posted by Daniel Kuppitz <me...@gremlin.guru>.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Florian Hockmann <fh...@florian-hockmann.de>.

Posted by Daniel Kuppitz <me...@gremlin.guru>.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

AW: [TinkerPop] Re: Docker images: gremlin-server and gremlin-console

Posted by Florian Hockmann <fh...@florian-hockmann.de>.
Looks like I didn't really think this through yesterday, but it probably doesn't really make sense to transfer the existing Dockerfiles as they only download the zip archives from our homepage and extract them. For this to work, we of course already need those archives to be in place which means that we can't deploy the Docker images together with the rest of TinkerPop. So, I think that it makes more sense to create new Dockerfiles that take the build artifacts from the Console and Server.

> I think we'd somehow need to find a way to redeploy all images if we tweak/improve the Dockerfile in a way that makes sense to also redeploy prior images, and not just the latest releases.
Do we really need to redeploy images for older TinkerPop versions? Wouldn't it be enough to simply provide a newer version for 3.2.z and 3.3.z, respectively? Why could someone not update for example from 3.2.6 to 3.2.7?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Musso <jb...@gmail.com>.