Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ben Spencer <be...@moody.edu> on 2007/09/03 23:35:30 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_proxy_balancer failover based on response code?

We are successfully using proxy_load_balancer to load balance requests to
backend IIS servers. We noticed that if a "site" on one of the IIS servers
is turned off, Apache still considers it a member and will send requests to
it. IIS responds with a 503 (I think -- no site configured for this name or
something like that is the error).

Is there a way to "fail" that IIS server in proxy_load_balancer when a
certain (>=500) status is received from the backend server instead of just a
"can't connect".

The only workaround we found is to code a script to check the backends and
use /balancer-manager to add/remove the members. Not elegant and imposes a
delay in the removing of the member.

Thanks
Benji

---