Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Mi...@us.sogeti.com on 2010/04/28 00:29:33 UTC

CVS Resolver

I am looking to pitch Ivy for DM on a project; however, one of the obstacles I came across was getting an interface to install to and resolve from a CVS-based repository. Has anyone tried this before? I am looking for some direction and could not find much on the web.

We have looked at archiva and artifactory as a replacement option for a cvs repo, but we fear that it will hurt our position, where using the existing cvs setup would strengthen it.

We are using extssh for our connection to cvs and thought of potentially extending the ssh resolver for this purpose.

Sincerely,

Michael

RE: CVS Resolver

Posted by Mi...@us.sogeti.com.
It is related to both.

Conceptually, I would see the following. There would be a CVS resolve. The resolver would take the necessary credentials + the project name for the cvs repo. When I execute a resolve, it would make a call to CVS to retrieve each dependency artifact, then download it to the cache. I know this is possible as there are cvs web viewers out there that allow HTTP access to download from a project. For those with permissions to write to CVS, there would also be part of a script that would retrieve the dependencies from a user cache to somewhere on the user's file system, then execute an install from the file system to the cvs resolver. This part I am not sure could be done. Ill have to look more at how CVS and ssh could provide this.

________________________________

We have written a repository resolver that pulls data out of the build
system (which acts as a repository) and it severed us well.

Is your question cvs- or resolver- related?

RE: CVS Resolver

Posted by Michael Feinberg <Mi...@convexitycapital.com>.
Michael,

Re: CVS Resolver

Posted by Archie Cobbs <ar...@gmail.com>.
If space is an issue, you might consider an "artifact-less" repository using
the packager resolver, where the ivy.xml and packager.xml files are stored
in CVS but the actual artifacts are stored elsewhere on a separate server as
plain files.

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs