Posted to general@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2008/02/23 10:36:03 UTC

[VOTE] log4cxx 0.10.0 release candidate

log4cxx 0.10.0 RC2 is now available for review for release on the
unofficial builds area.  This release candidate is strictly provided
for consideration for release, may be withdrawn and will be removed
from the publication location at the conclusion of the voting period.
RC2 is currently available at:

http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4cxx/0.10.0/apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc2.tar.gz
MD5(apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc2.tar.gz)= e50730742e18d3a72aa17ae1c2c673ce

http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4cxx/0.10.0/apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc2.zip
MD5(apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc2.zip)= f8b4f9855a2088aa14654885cd9535f0

The corresponding web content can be viewed directly from the staging
SVN:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/log4cxx/index.html

The corresponding source is available at:
svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4cxx/tags/v0_10_0-rc2

log4cxx 0.10.0 RC1 was withdrawn before publication.

I believe that the release candidate is viable for release with two
condition, the publication of a corresponding 1.0b5 of cpptasks and
the conclusion of a vote by February 29th.  Rev 158 of cpptasks was
used in the preparation of the release candidate and the generated
project files should not change.  I'm a project admin of cpptasks and
intend to have that release out by mid-week next week.

The change log has a prospective release date of 2008-02-29, if
procedural issues make that date unobtainable then a rebuild to change
the date will be necessary.

The download links in the staged and embedded web content point to the
anticipated location after the release is completed.  The mirrors link
will bring up a list of mirrors, but they won't have the file yet.
The mirrors page will not be displayed with Safari due to an known
issue with Safari.

Unzipping the .tar.gz may result in a warning message that a lone zero
block at 25389.  That is a known issue with Maven (and previously with
Ant) and does not affect the usability of the archive.

The release candidate was prepared using the following software
(listed in order of impact on contents of the release):

doxygen 1.4.6
cpptasks rev 158 installed as 1.0b5.
Apache Maven 2.0.8
APR 1.2.11 source unzipped as a sibling to the log4cxx directory.
APR-Util 1.2.10 source unzipped as a sibling.
Ubuntu 6.06.1-desktop-i386 (using VM from http://isv-image.ubuntu.com/vmware/)
gcc 4.0.3
Sun Java 1.6.0-b105

Attempting to build the release image from a non-Unix platform should
produce flawed Xcode projects.   However, any Unix derived OS would be
expected to product relatively close approximations of the release
candidate.  The following steps can be used to prepare local builds of
the release candidate for comparison:

tar -xvzf apr-1.2.11.tar.gz
mv apr-1.2.11 apr
tar -xvzf apr-util-1.2.10.tar.gz
mv apr-util-1.2.10 apr-util
export PATH=~/apache-maven-2.0.8/bin:$PATH
svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4cxx/tags/v0_10_0-
rc2 log4cxx
cd log4cxx
mvn site assembly:assembly

The contents of the src directory should be identical to the src
directory of the SVN tag.  The contents of the root directory should
be identical to the SVN tag except that it does not contain doap-
log4cxx.rdf which provides the description of the log4cxx project for http://projects.apache.org
.

The site directory is generated by Maven and the projects directory is
generated by cpptasks the raw output of both which are tweaked by the
Ant script during assembly preparation.

mvn rat:check can be used from the root directory to generate a report
on the presence of Apache License Headers, NOTICE and LICENSE files.
The report will be produced in target/rat.txt.  The only source files
without License Headers are in src/test/resources/witness and are
reference log files used during the unit test and should fall under
the exclusions of the ASF Source License Header Policy.

The release candidate has no internal markings that it is not an
official release.   If accepted, the archive files will simply be
renamed and placed in the main distribution directory for
synchronization to the mirrors and a digital signature will be prepared.

Release will require at least 3 +1 votes from Logging Service PMC
members.  However, votes from other parties and any feedback or
experiences with the release candidate are greatly desired.  Given the
current makeup of the project, I would expect the PMC members would
verify the procedural and legal issues themselves (which is their
major responsibility on a release review) but would rely on community
feedback the content of the release.  It would be helpful if you would
report any observations, particularly successes or failures building
from the release candidate (compiler vendor and version, platform,
etc) along with your +1, 0 or -1.  PMC members should identify their
votes as binding.  I'd expect that PMC members would hold their votes
until there is some feedback from the user community.  This will be a
combined PMC and log4cxx-dev vote, a separate PMC vote will not be
called.

Unless the candidate is withdrawn, voting should be open until 06:00
GMT 2008-02-29.  All discussion should occur on log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org
.

For background on Apache voting, release procedures, etc:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Re: [VOTE] log4cxx 0.10.0 release candidate

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 26, 2008, at 1:21 PM, Andreas Fester wrote:

> Hi Curt,
>
> I dont currently have much time to work on log4cxx,
> but a quick review of the .tar.gz file at least showed that the
> UNIX configure script is missing. This results in a dependency
> on the GNU autotools to generate the configure script and the
> Makefile.in's
> before building, instead of the straightforward ./configure; ./make;
> ./make install.
> For me, this is a must have to get the new version into the Debian
> distribution.
> Using the ant build system would add a build dependency on Java,
> which looks
> a littlebit heavy for me.

> Since you are using ubuntu to build the source package anyway, would
> it be
> possible to create the dist tarball with the GNU autotools approach?
> Or, if the "officially defined" way to create the package is the
> maven/ant approach,
> at least, I would like to have the necessary autotools files available
> in SVN.
> These are basically the Makefile.in's and a bunch of other generated
> files, like
> aclocal.m4, config.guess, configure etc.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
>    Andreas

Maven is generating the user documentation, cpptasks is generating the
Visual Studio and Xcode project files, so the full release packaging
is going to be Java centric.  However, that should not put any mandate
on the user to have Java, etc, unless they want to rebuild the
distribution.

I had omitted the configure and supporting files since I thought that
there might be some IP issue, but I checked and apparently other than
being careful what version of libtool etc is being used, it would be
okay to include those with the distribution.

Re: [VOTE] log4cxx 0.10.0 release candidate

Posted by re...@rubixinfotech.com.
I found out the hard way that you should use the shell-script (autogen)
that is provided to do the autoconfig....

Renny Koshy
President & CEO

RUBIX Information Technologies, Inc.
www.rubixinfotech.com

             jtc@acorntoolwork
             s.com (J.T.
             Conklin)                                                   To
                                       "Log4CXX User"
             02/26/2008 05:03          <lo...@logging.apache.org>
                                       Log4CXX Dev
                                       <lo...@logging.apache.org>
              "Log4CXX User"           Re: [VOTE] log4cxx 0.10.0 release
             <log4cxx-user@log         candidate
             ging.apache.org>

Andreas Fester <af...@apache.org> writes:
> I dont currently have much time to work on log4cxx,
> but a quick review of the .tar.gz file at least showed that the
> UNIX configure script is missing. This results in a dependency
> on the GNU autotools to generate the configure script and the
Makefile.in's
> before building, instead of the straightforward ./configure; ./make;
> ./make install.

I think this is a reasonably big deal.  I tried a quick "autoreconf
-ivf" which failed because the APR_FIND_APR macro was not distributed
with lib4cxx and find_apr.m4 isn't installed in /usr/pkg/share/aclocal
as part of NetBSD's apr package.

> Using the ant build system would add a build dependency on Java,
> which looks a littlebit heavy for me.

Using ant isn't even an option for systems where Java is not available.

I'll see what I can do to jump this hurdle so I can report whether
there are any other problems beyond configure.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin

Posted by "J.T. Conklin" <jt...@acorntoolworks.com>.

Posted by Andreas Fester <af...@apache.org>.
Hi Curt,

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 23, 2008, at 3:36 AM, Curt Arnold wrote:

> Attempting to build the release image from a non-Unix platform
> should produce flawed Xcode projects.   However, any Unix derived OS
> would be expected to product relatively close approximations of the
> release candidate.  The following steps can be used to prepare local
> builds of the release candidate for comparison:

To build and install cpptasks as 1.0b5:

svn co -r 158 https://ant-contrib.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ant-contrib/cpptasks/trunk
  cpptasks
cd cpptasks
sed -i .bak s/-SNAPSHOT// pom.xml
mvn install
cd ..

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 25, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

> I've scanned the user mailing list and only seen one reply so far
> with comments.  I'm not sure I can validate the comment precisely to
> understand the significance of it.  I lean towards a +1 here, but
> will sit and lurk a day or so longer.
>
> cheers,
>
> Paul

There are a couple of issues that need to be addressed in another RC,
so RC2 won't be the release, but it will should be close.  I'll post a
RC in the next few days and restart the vote.

Re: [VOTE] log4cxx 0.10.0 release candidate

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
On 23/02/2008, at 8:36 PM, Curt Arnold wrote:

> log4cxx 0.10.0 RC2 is now available for review for release on the
> unofficial builds area.  This release candidate is strictly provided
> for consideration for release, may be withdrawn and will be removed
> from the publication location at the conclusion of the voting
> period.  RC2 is currently available at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4cxx/0.10.0/apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc2.tar.gz
> MD5(apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc2.tar.gz)=
> e50730742e18d3a72aa17ae1c2c673ce
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4cxx/0.10.0/apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc2.zip
> MD5(apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc2.zip)= f8b4f9855a2088aa14654885cd9535f0

md5's match ok.

> The corresponding web content can be viewed directly from the
> staging SVN:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/log4cxx/index.html

Site looks good.

> The corresponding source is available at:
> svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4cxx/tags/v0_10_0-
> rc2

Link works ok.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 26, 2008, at 9:35 PM, Ross Wightman wrote:

> There appears to be a minor issue with the Visual Studio projects. The
> log4cxx and testsuite project have include directories that are at
> odds
> with the workspace/solution project directories and the recommended
> build preparation (where the apr and apr-util folders have their
> version
> numbers stripped and are placed at the same directory level as the
> log4cxx folder ... build_path\log4cxx, build_path\apr and
> build_path\apr-util).
>
> The include directories should be:
> ..\src\main\include;"..\..\apr\include";"..\..\apr-util\include"
>
> instead of
>
> ..\src\main\include,..\..\..\..\apr-1.2.11\include,..\..\..\..\apr-
> util-1.2.10\include
>
> Other than that, the VS projects built fine for me with VS 2005 SP1 +
> apr-1.2.12 + apr-util-1.2.12. The resulting DLL worked with my
> existing
> application which uses log4cxx via RollingFileAppenders extensively. I
> also created an x64 configuration for log4cxx and that also builds and
> runs. I was unable to complete a run of the testsuite since I'm
> lacking
> an impl of sed. I'll try that shortly.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ross

Thanks for the feedback.  The Visual Studio issue was introduced in
late in release preparation (also very late at night) and was
previously reported at  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
LOGCXX-247.  Sorry that you had to run into it again.

I've tweaked the build pages at bit and mention that you can download
sed, gzip and zip for Windows at http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net.
There will be another release candidate in a few days.

Re: [VOTE] log4cxx 0.10.0 release candidate

Posted by Ross Wightman <rw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Bartnikowski <sb...@barkinglizards.com>.

Maybe just some extra documentation on how to cook up 10.4 XCode project
files. Yeah, an Xcode project for 10.4 is helpful, but you can't please
everyone. It might not be worth the effort to go the extra mile in this
case.

> > On both FreeBSD and SUSE, I started out giving the autotools
> > instructions a shot. But neither platforms have apt-get. Many
> > platforms have different package managers, so it seems deficient to
> > use only one platform's manager in the example. I would
> rather see a
> > link to the apr and aprutil project download pages.
>
> I thought that command would give the intent (install APR and
> APR-Util using your package manager of choice) and that the
> user would be able to translate that to there distribution.
> In earlier revs, I had "# or your platform's equivalent)" but
> that resulted in text that flowed outside the text box so I
> removed it.  The APR and APR-Util sites do not have a
> maintained description of installation on different platforms.

I'd be fine with just a second line or an otherwise reformatting of "# or
your platform's equivalent". That or a reference to the APR and APR-Util
project sites for downloading and installing. I'm just saying that a newish
guy to the unix/lunix field might not have heard of apt, or Debian for that
matter, and get confused.

Now, take that with a grain of salt, because I'm also a little biased
against the Unix and Linux package managers, especially after being on both
ends of them. In creating a package or installing one, I tend run into
errors more often then not. And half the time, the package isn't found and I
have to download it from the project page anyway.

> > (autogen.sh being referred to as autoconf.sh has already been
> > mentioned.)
> >
> > On FreeBSD, autogen.sh doesn't get very far:
> > libtoolize: not found
> > aclocal: not found
> > autoconf: not found
> > automake: not found
>

> Okay, so a RC should include the generated configure files
> and should be checked against FreeBSD.

That'd be great!

> > So I fell back to the ant build. The ant instructions no longer
> > mention the shared / static options for each of the libraries, but
> > that's fine. By default, it builds the liblog4cxx.so just fine. I
> > think this is satisfactory for what I need.
>
> I'll check and remedy that.

Cool.

> > If I have to distribute Log4cxx with my product, however,
> this isn't
> > so great. If I do the ant build for a liblog4cxx.so that sucks its
> > dependencies in staticly, then ant will complain and not
> complete. For
> > example, specifying -Dapr.lib.type=static and
> > -Dapr-util.lib.type=static will result in an error message
> telling me
> > they must both be the static, even though that's what I
> asked for. But
> > again, I can let this slide.
> >

> > I honestly really haven't given RC2 on SUSE a fair shot yet, but
> > having more generic instructions on how to get apr and
> aprutil would
> > have helped.
> >
> > Finally, an install target would be immensely
> helpful...something that
> > would take the right headers and libs and dump them in the
> appropriate
> > platform location. But this is not a show-stopper.
> >

> If you could contribute one, that would be very helpful.  It
> isn't something that I could do without effort.

Yup, I understand. Unfortunately, since I don't know Ant or autotools well,
the best thing I could turn out for you reliably would be a shell script
that copied the lib and headers to the appropriate install locations. And
that's not really ideal. I'll let you know if the time to figure that out
lands in my lap.

Thanks again Curt!

- Stephen

Re: [VOTE] log4cxx 0.10.0 release candidate

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
> [...]

your platform's equivalent)" but that resulted in text that flowed
outside the text box so I removed it.  The APR and APR-Util sites do
not have a maintained description of installation on different
platforms.

> (autogen.sh being referred to as autoconf.sh has already been
> mentioned.)
>
> On FreeBSD, autogen.sh doesn't get very far:
> libtoolize: not found
> aclocal: not found
> autoconf: not found
> automake: not found

Okay, so a RC should include the generated configure files and should
be checked against FreeBSD.

> So I fell back to the ant build. The ant instructions no longer
> mention the
> shared / static options for each of the libraries, but that's fine. By
> default, it builds the liblog4cxx.so just fine. I think this is

I'll check and remedy that.

Posted by Stephen Bartnikowski <sb...@barkinglizards.com>.
Hi Curt,

Posted by Andreas Fester <af...@apache.org>.
Hi Curt,

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 24, 2008, at 9:50 PM, renny.koshy@rubixinfotech.com wrote:

> Curt -
>
> 1. Ok.. I see that I have cpptaskb4... which is what the download
> section
> had available... so checking it out of SVN now, and will try again.
>

> 2. In general, I've always adhered to the standard of always leaving
> off
> the last semicolon of the macro.  This way I can treat the macro as a
> statement and terminate it with a semicolon in the main body of the
> code.
> I started with this a long time ago (late 80's), at the time I
> believe some
> static checking tool would complain about empty statements also,
> which is
> why my employer at the time had a strict coding guideline about
> macros.
>
> I am not sure that I am qualified to definitely state whether one is
> better
> than the other, but I would say that (in my opinion) you should
> change the
> macro :-)

The macros were part of a scramble to address LOGCXX-219.  I had to do
a couple of iterations since each version of VS added a new twist and
ran into a wall with VS9.  I didn't have any compiler that warned me
of the double semis.

I'm about to crash and book tomorrow, but will commit something
tomorrow.  I'd expect to roll a RC3 in 24-48 hours.

Does anyone know a gcc switch that will warn of the double semi's but
not that much more?

[...]

             Curt Arnold
             <carnold@apache.o
             rg>                                                        To
                                       "Log4CXX Dev"
             02/24/2008 02:17          <lo...@logging.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: [VOTE] log4cxx 0.10.0 release
               "Log4CXX Dev"           candidate
             <log4cxx-dev@logg
              ing.apache.org>

On Feb 24, 2008, at 8:56 AM, renny.koshy@rubixinfotech.com wrote:

> Found a couple of issues on Solaris 8 with Sun One Studio:
>
> Issue 1. The "ant" build doesn't work
> ===========================
> It gives errors about nested comments in the project element.  I also
> noticed that ant thinks we're trying to build on Windows.  The
> command I
> used was:
>
>      ant -Dapr.dir=/export/home/renny/apr-1.2.12
> -Dapr-util.dir=/export/home/renny/apr-util-1.2.12 -Dcompiler=CC
> -Ddebug=true
>
> This is with the latest ant.
>
> So... I switched to the autoconf/automake build...

If you are getting a message that "comment" is not supported, that
would make me strongly suspect that you did not update cpptasks to rev
158.  I had to add a decent number of features to cpptasks to produce
the project files for inclusion in the release.  The comments adds a
comment to the generated project files so we can put in our copyright
notice and license.

I've also changed the Ant build options to align them with the ./
configure options, so now the Ant build will take -Dwith-apr.  The
options are documented at site/building/ant.html.

> Issue 2. Most of the headers that use LOG4CXX_PTR_DEF have a
> semicolon (;)
> following the invocation of that macro.
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> Unfortunately, Sun Studio sees this as an error, and stops.  I fixed
> it by
> running the following command, which removed the semi-colon
> following the
> invocation of the macro.  I also noticed that some files already had
> the
> correct usage.
>
>      find . -name \*.h|xargs grep -l "PTR_DEF.*;$"| xargs -i -t
> perl -i
> -p -e "s/(PTR_DEF[^;]*);$/\1/" {}
>
> The only one that was missed was smtpappender.h, which apparently
> has lots
> of spaces after the invokation, thereby causing my search/replace to
> fail
> on it (I had not antcipated that).  So I manually edited the file:
>      src/main/include/log4cxx/net/smtpappender.h

Would it be easier to change the macro so that it requires a semi?  I
know that doxygen can have problems when it sees what it thinks is a
function call missing a semi (that is one of the diagnostic messages
it produces).

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
> [...]

invocation of the macro.  I also noticed that some files already had the
correct usage.

      find . -name \*.h|xargs grep -l "PTR_DEF.*;$"| xargs -i -t  perl -i
-p -e "s/(PTR_DEF[^;]*);$/\1/" {}

The only one that was missed was smtpappender.h, which apparently has lots
of spaces after the invokation, thereby causing my search/replace to fail
on it (I had not antcipated that).  So I manually edited the file:
      src/main/include/log4cxx/net/smtpappender.h

Right now I'm stuck on some locale issues... will keep posting updates as I
have them.

Renny Koshy
President & CEO

RUBIX Information Technologies, Inc.
www.rubixinfotech.com

             Curt Arnold
             <carnold@apache.o
             rg>                                                        To
             02/23/2008 04:36          <lo...@logging.apache.org>
                                       Log4CXX User
                                       <lo...@logging.apache.org>,
             Please respond to         Logging General
              "Log4CXX User"           <ge...@logging.apache.org>
             <log4cxx-user@log                                     Subject
             ging.apache.org>          [VOTE] log4cxx 0.10.0 release