Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Edmond Kemokai <ek...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/11 23:27:10 UTC

Incubating HiveMind

Hello Folks,

I was referred to this list as a starting point for getting a project
incubated with ASF.

I am the developer of HiveMind (not to be confused with
https://hivemind.apache.org/) : http://crudzilla.com/

HiveMind is a JSR-223 based web app platform. It combines a browser based
IDE, a middleware and the Jetty appserver (could use tomcat but haven't
tried it yet).

The platform uses mostly ASF components and I think it would fit well into
the ASF ecosystem.

Not sure where to start with engaging the community but I am happy to
answer any questions.

-Edmond

Re: Incubating HiveMind

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 8:41 PM, Edmond Kemokai <ek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the follow up Roman!
>
> I would start thinking of a new name, though the existing ASF project with
> the same name is a retired one so I don't know if it will be possible to
> simply take it up eventually.

Good point. That said, I always encourage future podling communities
to come up with at least one back up name when submitting proposal.

> The project started as a commercial endeavor (now defunct), so far I am the
> sole contributor to the code base and it is licensed under the Apache 2.0
> license. Of course it is mainly an integration project so most of what
> makes up the platform is based on other projects, however most are ASF
> components as I stated earlier.
>
> I will fill out the proposal template.

Great! Ping us here if something is not quite self-explanatory.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Incubating HiveMind

Posted by Edmond Kemokai <ek...@gmail.com>.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 6:50 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> Hi Edmond!
>
> great to see your enthusiasm about joining ASF!
>
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Edmond Kemokai <ek...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello Folks,
> >
> > I was referred to this list as a starting point for getting a project
> > incubated with ASF.
> >
> > I am the developer of HiveMind (not to be confused with
> > https://hivemind.apache.org/) : http://crudzilla.com/
>
> I guess that would be your first todo item: come up with a different name.
>
> > HiveMind is a JSR-223 based web app platform. It combines a browser based
> > IDE, a middleware and the Jetty appserver (could use tomcat but haven't
> > tried it yet).
> >
> > The platform uses mostly ASF components and I think it would fit well
> into
> > the ASF ecosystem.
>
> That sounds right up ASF's alley!
>
> > Not sure where to start with engaging the community but I am happy to
> > answer any questions.
>
> I've got one question and one suggestion:
>    1. can you please let us know who has been the community contributing
>     to the project so far and what license were these contributions under?
>
>     2. can you start filling out an Incubator Proposal template? A good
>     example can be found here:
>         https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GroovyProposal
>     The proposal asks most of the questions you'd have to answer anyway.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

“talk trash and carry a small stick.”
PAUL KRUGMAN (NYT)

"I believe god invented man, because he was disappointed in the monkey"
Mark Twain

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas"
Warren Buffett

Re: Incubating HiveMind