Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chandramohan <cl...@yahoo.com> on 2005/10/27 16:21:58 UTC

Index File Size

In general, will index size be equal to the size of
the document?  Also, does Lucene employ any index
compression schemes?  I am a relatively new user of
Lucene and I just love it!

thanks!

Re: Index File Size

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On 27 Oct 2005, at 10:21, Chandramohan wrote:

> In general, will index size be equal to the size of
> the document?  Also, does Lucene employ any index
> compression schemes?  I am a relatively new user of
> Lucene and I just love it!

It depends on how you create Field's.  The general rule of thumb I've
heard is that if you don't store fields, but just tokenize and index
them, an index is about 35% the size of the original documents.
Though most applications need some stored fields.

     Erik