Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by fl...@gmx.de on 2011/06/28 10:39:11 UTC

Possible servlet spec mismatch in async timeout situations

Hi together,

I think I found a possible mismatch against the servlet spec with async timeouts on Tomcat 7.0.16. When performing a dispatch() from within an onTimeout handler, Tomcat does not call the onComplete handler after the request has been dispatched.
The servlet spec states that an onComplete event will be triggered after dispatching, and I cannot see any exception to this rule in the context of timeouts. See also the state diagram on page 19: onComplete must always be called.

Regards,
Flo

Re: Possible servlet spec mismatch in async timeout situations

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 28/06/2011 09:39, fl-00@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi together,
>
> I think I found a possible mismatch against the servlet spec with async timeouts on Tomcat 7.0.16. When performing a dispatch() from within an onTimeout handler, Tomcat does not call the onComplete handler after the request has been dispatched.
> The servlet spec states that an onComplete event will be triggered after dispatching, and I cannot see any exception to this rule in the context of timeouts. See also the state diagram on page 19: onComplete must always be called.

Yep, that is a bug. I have updated the unit tests locally to cover this
and am working on a fix now.

Thanks for the report, it has highlighted a number of interesting edge
cases that weren't being covered. These will also be covered in the
updated unit tests and any fixes required will also be made.

Cheers,

Mark