Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2020/06/19 07:37:29 UTC

Fwd: Cocoon 2.1.X - Build # 141 - Still Failing

FYI Jenkins is now failing with same failure I have locally when trying to build 2_1_X.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
> On 22/06/20 16:58, Cédric Damioli wrote:

>>> I was able to build (and run some tests - not all because I had not time to look up for HTMLUnit) with the changes embedded in this commit:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/ilgrosso/cocoon/commit/c438857f594d770d865f4e8b7244b5fda026f6b2
>>>
>>> As you can see from there, I have:
>>>
>>> * removed jakarta-regexp-1.5 and introduced CocoonRESyntaxException to wrap RESyntaxException
>>> * replaced jakarta-bcel-20040329.jar (there were compilation errors) with bcel-5.2.jar - because of some visibility change, I introduced CocoonFrame
>>>
>>> Please have a look and let me know: in case we are fine with such changes, I would svn-commit to BRANCH_2_1_X and set COCOON-1576 as fixed in 2.1.13.
>> Why not, but are we sure that we won't have regressions due to downgrade of jakarta-regexp (the xalan bundled version is 1.2 AFAIU) ?
>>
>> From a design POV, I find it quite strange to rely on an XSLT lib (ie Xalan) to provide regexp processing.
>> Could it be better to remove org.apache.bcel and org.apache.regexp from the xalan jar and keep the existing librairies ?
>> I suppose that was how it has been done previously for xalan-2.7.1
> It seems you are quite right.
>
> I took cocoon-2.1.12-deps.tar.gz from
>
> http://cocoon.apache.org/mirror.html
>
> then extracted
>
> lib/endorsed/xalan-2.7.1.jar
>
> and found that it is *not the same* you can download from Maven Central under
>
> https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/xalan/xalan/2.7.1/xalan-2.7.1.jar
>
> but that it matches the one you can download from
>
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/xalan/xalan-j/binaries/xalan-j_2_7_1-bin-2jars.zip
>
> because it does not contain any org.apache.bcel.* nor any org.apache.regexp.* class.
>
> So I went ahead and replaced the current
>
> lib/endorsed/xalan-2.7.2.jar
>
> in the source tree with the one contained in
>
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/xalan/xalan-j/binaries/xalan-j_2_7_2-bin-2jars.zip
>
> and all went out smoothly.
>
> Problem solved :-)

Jenkins confirms: build #142 is succeeding again.
https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Cocoon/job/Cocoon%202.1.X/142/

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Fwd: Cocoon 2.1.X - Build # 141 - Still Failing

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 25/06/20 19:52, Cédric Damioli wrote:
> Le 24/06/2020 à 10:52, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :

>>> +1 with your proposal
>> Glad to hear this, please go on.
>>
> Committed.
> Could you check that the build is ok on your side ?

I can confirm it works like a charm - and Jenkins agrees:

https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Cocoon/job/Cocoon%202.1.X/143/

Good job!
Regards.

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.

Le 24/06/2020 à 10:52, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> On 24/06/20 09:42, Cédric Damioli wrote:
>>>>

>>> Maybe we could do as you suggest - e.g. restore the previous xalan-2.7.2.jar and strip out the indicated classes - but also renaming it somehow, e.g. xalan-2.7.2-cocoon-2.1.13.jar and adding some explanation in lib/jars.xml about how we obtained this JAR from official Xalan's JAR.
>>>
>>> Does it sound reasonable?
>> +1 with your proposal
> Glad to hear this, please go on.

Committed.
Could you check that the build is ok on your side ?

Regards,
Cédric

Re: Fwd: Cocoon 2.1.X - Build # 141 - Still Failing

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 24/06/20 09:42, Cédric Damioli wrote:
> Le 24/06/2020 à 08:57, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
>> On 23/06/20 23:20, Cédric Damioli wrote:
>>> <snip/>

>>> It can't be that easy :)
>>> The xalan-2.7.2 you just uploaded does not contains xsltc, whereas the previous xalan-2.7.1 did contain it.
>>> And the xsltc.jar comes bundled with cled and regexp.
>>>
>>> But you're completely right, it seems we did not have an official xalan jar.
>>>
>>> My suggestion, to preserve legacy behaviour, is to remove org.apache.(bcel|regexp).* from the full xalan jar.
>>>
>>> What do you think ?
>> Well, in this era of reproducible builds, taking another project's dist artifact, mangle it and include it our own sources looks a bit... weird.
>>
>> At least, the current file comes actually unchanged from Xalan's release artifact.
> I totally agree. But the Cocoon 2.1.x build system was made in a pre-(ivy|maven) era and I think we don't want to take the time to re-engineer it.

100% agree of course :-)

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.

Le 24/06/2020 à 08:57, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> On 23/06/20 23:20, Cédric Damioli wrote:
>> <snip/>

>>> It seems you are quite right.
>>>
>>> I took cocoon-2.1.12-deps.tar.gz from
>>>
>>> http://cocoon.apache.org/mirror.html
>>>
>>> then extracted
>>>
>>> lib/endorsed/xalan-2.7.1.jar
>>>
>>> and found that it is *not the same* you can download from Maven Central under
>>>
>>> https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/xalan/xalan/2.7.1/xalan-2.7.1.jar
>>>
>>> but that it matches the one you can download from
>>>
>>> http://archive.apache.org/dist/xalan/xalan-j/binaries/xalan-j_2_7_1-bin-2jars.zip
>>>
>>> because it does not contain any org.apache.bcel.* nor any org.apache.regexp.* class.
>>>
>>> So I went ahead and replaced the current
>>>
>>> lib/endorsed/xalan-2.7.2.jar
>>>
>>> in the source tree with the one contained in
>>>
>>> http://archive.apache.org/dist/xalan/xalan-j/binaries/xalan-j_2_7_2-bin-2jars.zip
>>>
>>> and all went out smoothly.
>>>
>>> Problem solved :-)
>>> Regards.
>>>
>> It can't be that easy :)
>> The xalan-2.7.2 you just uploaded does not contains xsltc, whereas the previous xalan-2.7.1 did contain it.
>> And the xsltc.jar comes bundled with cled and regexp.
>>
>> But you're completely right, it seems we did not have an official xalan jar.
>>
>> My suggestion, to preserve legacy behaviour, is to remove org.apache.(bcel|regexp).* from the full xalan jar.
>>
>> What do you think ?
> Well, in this era of reproducible builds, taking another project's dist artifact, mangle it and include it our own sources looks a bit... weird.
>
> At least, the current file comes actually unchanged from Xalan's release artifact.
I totally agree. But the Cocoon 2.1.x build system was made in a
pre-(ivy|maven) era and I think we don't want to take the time to
re-engineer it.

> Maybe we could do as you suggest - e.g. restore the previous xalan-2.7.2.jar and strip out the indicated classes - but also renaming it somehow, e.g. xalan-2.7.2-cocoon-2.1.13.jar and adding some explanation in lib/jars.xml about how we obtained this JAR from official Xalan's JAR.
>
> Does it sound reasonable?

+1 with your proposal

Regards,
Cédric

Re: Fwd: Cocoon 2.1.X - Build # 141 - Still Failing

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
<snip/>

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.

Le 22/06/2020 à 15:29, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> On 22/06/20 12:11, Cédric Damioli wrote:
>>> Mine is 1.6.0_45 (Linux) e.g. the one you can download at the moment from Oracle.

>>> The actual issue seems to be the fact that RESyntaxException is contained either by
>>>
>>> ./lib/endorsed/jakarta-regexp-1.5.jar
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> ./lib/endorsed/xalan-2.7.2.jar
>>>
>>> with the former extending RuntimeException and the latter extending Exception; so it actually depends on which one is picked during build, I'd say.
>>>
>>> Since all classes from the former JAR are included by the latter JAR, I think we should remove jakarta-regexp, but this will not solve the build problem, it will only make it more consistent - which I also believe it is better.
>>>
>> Ok, understood. I was wondering why did this never happen before ? jakarta-regexp-1.5 and xalan are used since 10+ years together
>> I just found than Xalan has been upgraded to 2.7.2 last year. Before that, our provided xalan-2.7.1 did not embed org.apache.regexp package
>> Did we had our own xalan version ?
>>
>> BTW, a similar issue was raised 15 years ago :) : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1576
> I was able to build (and run some tests - not all because I had not time to look up for HTMLUnit) with the changes embedded in this commit:
>
> https://github.com/ilgrosso/cocoon/commit/c438857f594d770d865f4e8b7244b5fda026f6b2
>
> As you can see from there, I have:
>
> * removed jakarta-regexp-1.5 and introduced CocoonRESyntaxException to wrap RESyntaxException
> * replaced jakarta-bcel-20040329.jar (there were compilation errors) with bcel-5.2.jar - because of some visibility change, I introduced CocoonFrame
>
> Please have a look and let me know: in case we are fine with such changes, I would svn-commit to BRANCH_2_1_X and set COCOON-1576 as fixed in 2.1.13.
>
> Regards.

Why not, but are we sure that we won't have regressions due to downgrade
of jakarta-regexp (the xalan bundled version is 1.2 AFAIU) ?

 From a design POV, I find it quite strange to rely on an XSLT lib (ie

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
I just tested with JDK 1.6 and it worked fine (my exact JDK version is
1.6.0_18, Windows version).

I'm a bit worried if we must change to 1.8, as Cocoon 2.1.x is supposed
to be compatible with 1.6.
Furthermore, javac claims about a RESyntaxException being not catched,
but it's actually a RuntimeException, so I don't see the problem ...

Any idea ?
Have others an issue with building Cocoon 2.1.x with Java 1.6 ?

Cédric

Le 20/06/2020 à 15:10, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> On 19/06/20 19:43, Cédric Damioli wrote:
>> With which JVM did you try to build ?
>> I have an Oracle JDK 1.8 and everything is ok ...
>
> You are right, I tried OpenJDK 1.8 and it worked fine.
>
> Jenkins (and my former attempts) were based on Oracle JDK 1.6.
>
> Shall I update Jenkins conf?
>
> Regards.
>
>> Le 19/06/2020 à 09:37, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
>>>
>>> FYI Jenkins is now failing with same failure I have locally when
>>> trying to build 2_1_X.

CMS - Java - Open Source
www.ametys.org

Re: Fwd: Cocoon 2.1.X - Build # 141 - Still Failing

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.