Posted to general@commons.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2002/10/24 01:56:55 UTC

-1 vs -0.9 (was: Naming issues)

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 12:49:08AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> In truth, I made a mistake in vetoing, since I never wanted to stop
> Peter, it was just a strong opinion but I wrongly threw in a -1... (ya
> know, it happens that we use it in discussing, just for opinions, but
> when you follow 28 lists it sometimes happens to make a mistake).

In the past, I've advocated that people avoid using -1 to mean "strong
against, but not a veto." It is just too confusing. People always end up
having to append "yah that's a veto" or "not a veto". Why the hell use the
short numeric voting form if you just have to explain it in prose?

To that end, I adovcate using something like "-0.9" to mean you're against
it, but it isn't an official veto. Use -1 when you're actually vetoing.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: -1 vs -0.9 (was: Naming issues)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <an...@superlinksoftware.com>.
-pi (unrounded version ;-))

This is getting too complicated ;-)

-Andy

Re: -1 vs -0.9 (was: Naming issues)

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Re: -1 vs -0.9 (was: Naming issues)

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 11:50:29PM -0400, Michael A. Smith wrote:
> In jakarta-commons, and I believe in other areas of jakarta, the voting
> "ballots" tend to look like this:
>
>   [ ] +1 I am in favor of this action and will help
>   [ ] +0 I am in favor of this action but cannot help
>   [ ] -0 I am not in favor of this action
>   [ ] -1 I am opposed to this action and here is why:
>
> I think it works well.

I always liked seeing these kinds of explicit votes on general@jakarta and
tomcat-dev@jakarta. +1 for having this style of voting on this project. :)

-aaron

Re: -1 vs -0.9 (was: Naming issues)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Re: -1 vs -0.9 (was: Naming issues)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Michael A. Smith wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 12:49:08AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>> In truth, I made a mistake in vetoing, since I never wanted to stop
>>> Peter, it was just a strong opinion but I wrongly threw in a -1...
>>> (ya know, it happens that we use it in discussing, just for opinions,
>>> but when you follow 28 lists it sometimes happens to make a mistake).
>>
>> In the past, I've advocated that people avoid using -1 to mean "strong
>> against, but not a veto." It is just too confusing. People always end up
>> having to append "yah that's a veto" or "not a veto". Why the hell use
>> the short numeric voting form if you just have to explain it in prose?

;-)

>> To that end, I adovcate using something like "-0.9" to mean you're
>> against
>> it, but it isn't an official veto. Use -1 when you're actually vetoing.
>

> I've always thought that's what -0 was for.  0 meaning it's not a vote
> that counts, and - to indicate you're against.  If you throw qualitative
> words in there (like "strongly against, but don't want to actually
> veto"), then you'd need to explain that in prose.
>
> In jakarta-commons, and I believe in other areas of jakarta, the voting
> "ballots" tend to look like this:
>
>   [ ] +1 I am in favor of this action and will help
>   [ ] +0 I am in favor of this action but cannot help
>   [ ] -0 I am not in favor of this action
>   [ ] -1 I am opposed to this action and here is why:
>
> I think it works well.

Anyway, the bottom line is:
  "*never* use -1 if it's not a veto"

Anything greater than -1 (-0.9 , +1000, etc) will be regarded as being
fancy ;-)

I think I'll go with -0.9 for strong opposition, anyway.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: -1 vs -0.9 (was: Naming issues)

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.
Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 12:49:08AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>In truth, I made a mistake in vetoing, since I never wanted to stop
>>Peter, it was just a strong opinion but I wrongly threw in a -1... (ya
>>know, it happens that we use it in discussing, just for opinions, but
>>when you follow 28 lists it sometimes happens to make a mistake).
>

> In the past, I've advocated that people avoid using -1 to mean "strong
> against, but not a veto." It is just too confusing. People always end up
> having to append "yah that's a veto" or "not a veto". Why the hell use the
> short numeric voting form if you just have to explain it in prose?
>
> To that end, I adovcate using something like "-0.9" to mean you're against
> it, but it isn't an official veto. Use -1 when you're actually vetoing.

I've always thought that's what -0 was for.  0 meaning it's not a vote
that counts, and - to indicate you're against.  If you throw qualitative
words in there (like "strongly against, but don't want to actually
veto"), then you'd need to explain that in prose.

In jakarta-commons, and I believe in other areas of jakarta, the voting
"ballots" tend to look like this:

   [ ] +1 I am in favor of this action and will help
   [ ] +0 I am in favor of this action but cannot help
   [ ] -0 I am not in favor of this action
   [ ] -1 I am opposed to this action and here is why:

I think it works well.

regards,
michael
--
Michael A. Smith
mas@apache.org

Re: -1 vs -0.9 (was: Naming issues)

Posted by Scott Sanders <sa...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 04:56:55PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 12:49:08AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > In truth, I made a mistake in vetoing, since I never wanted to stop
> > Peter, it was just a strong opinion but I wrongly threw in a -1... (ya
> > know, it happens that we use it in discussing, just for opinions, but
> > when you follow 28 lists it sometimes happens to make a mistake).
>
> In the past, I've advocated that people avoid using -1 to mean "strong
> against, but not a veto." It is just too confusing. People always end up
> having to append "yah that's a veto" or "not a veto". Why the hell use the
> short numeric voting form if you just have to explain it in prose?
>
> To that end, I adovcate using something like "-0.9" to mean you're against
> it, but it isn't an official veto. Use -1 when you're actually vetoing.

+0.9 :)  OK, seriously, +1.

--
Scott Sanders - sanders@apache.org