Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com> on 2005/04/15 15:57:08 UTC

Sandbox code and Woden requirements

Sanjiva,
My sandbox code closely models the WSDL 2.0 component model and has some
wsdl4j-like infrastructure (factory, parsing, etc).  There's not much there
yet, but I am planning to get some working code to  Lawrence this week so
he can start working on a WSDL 2.0 validator and so we can start testing
the WSDL 2.0 spec (i.e. responding to the W3C call for implementations by
running code against their WSDL testcases).  This is not meant to be a
non-collaborative effort - we just wanted to get started while the Woden
proposal was going through.  I have submitted an ICLA, so should have an
apache ID soon to begin sharing the code. My initial focus was to get WSDL
2.0 parsing working, with some thought towards pluggable XML parsers to
support different usage requirements. Currently I am using JAXP.  I know
Axis2 requires StAX and I am currently seeking IBM approval to access the
reference implementation for JSR173 so that I can work with that too.

I've read the Axis2 WSDL Architecture Wiki and looked at the Axis2 WSDL
code. This code is close to the WSDL 2.0 component model, but I guess the
differences are due to the WOM requirements as described in the WSDL
Architecture document.  The WOM is a version-independent common WSDL model
that other Axis2 WSDL modules can program to - correct?

We should discuss this in more depth to agree requirements and scope, but
from the pre-proposal discussion with Dims and as per the Woden proposal I
am assuming that the Woden API will faithfully reflect the WSDL 2.0
component model and that some logic will convert the Woden model to the
WOM.  This should just be a lightweight conversion, with StAX and deferred
parsing being used. It need not involve converting one fully-parsed object
model to another.    It's not clear to me yet if there are any Axis2
scenarios requiring WSDL validation for which deferred parsing is not
suitable - it may be that for validation of the semantic rules in the WSDL
2.0 spec, a fully parsed model of the WSDL is more suitable?

Based on the Axis2 WSDL architecture diagrams,  I assume that Woden parsing
fits somewhere around the WSDLOM Builder module and Woden serialization
somewhere around the WSDLWriter module and that the other WSDL architecture
modules and their requirements are Axis2-specific and out of Woden's scope.
I assume the WSDLBuilder and WSDLWriter modules will remain part of the
Axis2 WSDL architecture and that under the covers they will use Woden to
deserialize and serialize the WSDL 2.0 XML from/to the WOM.

It would be good to gather and share the requirements of the various Woden
stakeholders - Axis2, Eclipse, W3C, e.t.c. I tried to summarize these in
the incubator proposal, but now is the time to scope these out.  I'd like
to hear about your M2 / WSDL discussion at the recent F2F. Also, to
consider timeframes and schedules, in particular the Axis2 M2 dates - I'd
like to have Woden providing WSDL 2.0 support for M2 too! The Eclipse WST
project has some milestone dependencies later in the year and W3C WSDL 2.0
are eagerly awaiting responses to their call for implementations to verify
the WSDL 2.0 spec.

Perhaps we could arrange a conference call with all of the Woden team to
kick off the project and establish some of the requirements and
expectations.  I'd be happy to arrange this. I think Arthur Ryman is busy
Wed-Fri next week, so perhaps Tuesday next week or sometime the week after?

regards,
John Kaputin

             "Sanjiva
             Weerawarana"
             <sanjiva@opensour                                          To
             ce.lk>                    <wo...@ws.apache.org>, "John
                                       Kaputin \(gmail\)"
             14/04/2005 01:23          <ja...@gmail.com>,
                                       <di...@apache.org>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: welcome to woden-dev mailing
                                       list

Hi John,

How far is your sandbox code for WSDL 2.0 from the stuff in Axis2?
If there's any way to start with the Axis2 stuff that'll certainly
make transition easier.

Also, do you guys have a tentative timeline for WSDL 2.0 support?
I'd love to have Axis2 depend on it, IFF the schedules work out
ok.

Thanks,

Sanjiva.