Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Giampaolo Tomassoni <Gi...@Tomassoni.biz> on 2010/12/12 19:23:23 UTC

blacklist.mailrelay.att.net

How does it work?

I just got blocked by the AT&T's blacklist (in contacting abuse@att.com,
besides...), but I'm pretty sure my MX is not an open relay or other kind of
nifty thing.

Maybe AT&T blocks whole address bunches from which some hosts are spamming?
Because this could explain me why: my MX is co-located...

Thanks,

Giampaolo

Re: blacklist.mailrelay.att.net

Posted by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>.
On 12/14/10 11:31 AM, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:
>> I would strongly encourage your ISP to clean up their act by adding an
>> excursion detection system, that watches for bursty outbound traffic
>> patterns, like a sudden spike in outbound SMTP or HTTP connections to a
>> wide spread of addresses.
> Is Aruba.it so poorly reputed?

I can't speak for their reputation, but when an entire ISP's CIDR blocks get blacklisted (like we did with iWeb.ca) it's usually because they aren't very responsive in dealing with issues when they occur and not proactive about trying to prevent them.

-Philip

RE: blacklist.mailrelay.att.net

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <Gi...@Tomassoni.biz>.

Posted by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 13.12.10 11:14, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:
> I personally (and many serious blocklists) would block the single spamming
> address.

I would not call what's at&t doing a spam blocking. I'd rather call that
"policy blocking" which means you need to have DNS records that  clearly say
the IPs are not dynamically assigned.

The policy "we don't accept (unauthenticated) mail from dynamic hosts" is
quite common and logical.

> You may easily see that Aruba.it is a co-location provider, so you
> may easily understand that different hosts from the same address bunch are
> probably handled by different organizations, with different means and
> purposes.
>
> To me, it is counter-productive to block the whole bunch.

ask aruba.it to configure reverse records properly.
BSE = Mad Cow Desease ... BSA = Mad Software Producents Desease

RE: blacklist.mailrelay.att.net

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <Gi...@Tomassoni.biz>.

Posted by mouss <mo...@ml.netoyen.net>.