Posted to repository@apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2006/01/01 06:39:18 UTC

Re: Making a redist of all the javax.* packages

On Saturday 31 December 2005 04:20, Steve Loughran wrote:
> On 12/30/05, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I'm not a lawyer but that sounds like redistribution anyway which
> > would violate the license.
> > I think we'll have a good solution when we have the maven feature that
> > allows you to use different implementations, like geronimo open
> > source, easily. It's in the maven 2.1 design docs
>
> Applications are allowed to redist things; I just pulled in hibernate
> 3.1, it came with jta.jar and ejb.jar. What we cannot do is serve
> things up on web sites.

FWIW, Avalon circumvented the re-distribution in a similar manner. It had an
"application" which the build system would download and extract the jars
from, if not found in the local cache. And considering that the entire ASF
Board was watching the situation i Avalon for a very long time and that none
ever questioned the practice, I assume it is "Ok" at least until otherwise
stated.

Possibly, you could also host the files in a country where the re-distribution
limitations are not enforcable. Or maybe we should make Maven et al work with
Torrents, and we collectively seeds it. :o)

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Making a redist of all the javax.* packages

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Or they could be packaged with a special build of maven, which sets up
the seed repo with the known Sun jars.

On 1/1/06, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 31 December 2005 04:20, Steve Loughran wrote:
> > On 12/30/05, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > I'm not a lawyer but that sounds like redistribution anyway which
> > > would violate the license.
> > > I think we'll have a good solution when we have the maven feature that
> > > allows you to use different implementations, like geronimo open
> > > source, easily. It's in the maven 2.1 design docs
> >
> > Applications are allowed to redist things; I just pulled in hibernate
> > 3.1, it came with jta.jar and ejb.jar. What we cannot do is serve
> > things up on web sites.
>
> FWIW, Avalon circumvented the re-distribution in a similar manner. It had an
> "application" which the build system would download and extract the jars
> from, if not found in the local cache. And considering that the entire ASF
> Board was watching the situation i Avalon for a very long time and that none
> ever questioned the practice, I assume it is "Ok" at least until otherwise
> stated.
>
> Possibly, you could also host the files in a country where the re-distribution
> limitations are not enforcable. Or maybe we should make Maven et al work with
> Torrents, and we collectively seeds it. :o)
>

> Cheers
> Niclas

Bernard Shaw

RE: Making a redist of all the javax.* packages

Posted by Steve <mc...@apache.org>.

I have been advised by a current member of the Board of the ASF that matters
relating to technical operation of the Avalon Project were never in
question.

Cheers, Steve.