Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> on 2005/03/15 20:58:55 UTC

Best Way to use Custom ActionContext/Storing ActionContext in ThreadLocal

Trying to unify these two threads:

"How to provide custom impl of ActionContext"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.struts.devel/25876

"Storing current ActionContext in ThreadLocal"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.struts.devel/25868

It would be great to get some ideas from people about the right way
to allow users to use an alternate implementation of the
ActionContext class.  I am generally ill-disposed to a factory class
since it seems like so often factories also need configuration which
makes discovery tedious, but having a factory class which was an
Abstract class would also give us a convenient place to plug a static
"currentActionContext" method.

If no configuration is necessary, we could simply stipulate
"actionContextFactoryClass" as a String Property of ControllerConfig
and at least move forward with that.  To be honest, for this specific
case I'm not thinking of any configuration use cases, so maybe I
shouldn't get hung up on it.

(Defining implementation classes and configuring them all in one
place is the solution that Spring provides which I think makes so
many people get so gung-ho about it.)

I think in writing this I've convinced myself to do it this way.
Will give it a little time for responses but I'm likely to try to do
this in the next couple of days.

Joe
--
Joe Germuska